We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somoa

Coimbatore, India
1 post
Somoa

Hi Guys, I am thinking of travelling to Somoa for a month. Can you guys please suggest me good places to visit, restaurants and local experiences . And also is it safe for solo female travellers ? I am also interested to join fellow female traveller or a group. I am flexible with the date. Let me know.

1 reply
Wairoa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
631 posts
116 reviews
1. Re: Somoa

The answer will depend a lot on wether you are happy to stay in Fales, if you are going to travel around or are maybe looking for one place as a base to explore from?

As a sole female traveller I find the Fales a great way to meet people ( depending on the time of year you visit) and would suggest maybe a Hotel or guest house in Apia the first few days to orientate yourself ( and hopefully see the cultural village display behind the info centre) then heading out to a popular Fale where they dine communally- Taufua and Faofao are normally good choices.- the price of fale accommodation normally includes a meal at breakfast and dinner, and some places dine at one large table

I have often teamed up with other travellers I have met there to go sightseeing etc

I met one solo female in Apia as she was leaving the country. She had not really enjoyed her trip having stayed at very quiet, remote, expensive resorts and not met anyone...

If you go to a place without communal dining it is often a good idea to head to the bar shortly before dinner and hope you can start a conversation with some people that you could ask to dine with....a bit scary but it often has great results.

The atmosphere at Vaimoana on Savaii is very conducive to meeting people and the accommodation is better than Fales-but they dont dine communally and initially I was being sat at very exposed table for one...

On Savaii the Fales at Manase and Lano are the busiest and dine communally but some times of the year can be very quiet and you may not have many fellow guests. ( June/July/ August are probably busiest )

If you indicate the type of accommodation and time of year, the way you will travel around etc it can help to advise you.

Reply to: Somoa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted