We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savai'i

Washington DC...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Savai'i

Hi,

I have four or five nights in Savai'i and I'm trying to figure out how I should divide my time. I want to swim with the turtles, have a taste of traditional Samoan village life, see the blow holes, some lava fields, rainforest and beautiful beach. I will have a car. Is it possible for me to do all of this in 5 days? Which towns should I use to stay overnight? I plan to drive the entire way around Savai'i. Thanks for any help!!

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
846 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savai'i

yes i think you should be able to do all that and have some down time to really relax and enjoy the beauty of doing nothing !!

where are you staying?

you can order a "jasons map" on there web site and then mark out what you want to see / do , to help you plan your trip!

sue

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savai'i

Hi Rachel

If you are looking for a fale stay on a beautiful beach I would suggest you look at Manase village.From there you are only a few minutes from lava fields and the turtle swim.. It does not take long with a car to get to just about all the attractions Savaii has to offer..You can comfortably do a day trip around the island,stopping wherever you like and still be home in plenty of time for dinner..The beauty of Savaii is you can do as much or as little as you like.

Im heading over in May for 3 weeks (10 days on Savaii) and will be staying in the village of Lano and then moving on to Manase..I love the beach Fale lifestyle . It cannot be beaten and Samoan hospitality is fantastic.

So make the most of it and Im sure you will fall in love with the place..

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Manase
Manase
Savai'i, Samoa
Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savai'i

Malo lava Rachel

If you want to experience the diversity of Samoan culture, food, people, etc I'd go with 3 different sorts of accommodation if your budget allows it. You could start off with my favourite, the wonderful Savaii Lagoon Resort - great size rooms, fantastic ocean views, self contained which you probably wouldn't use as the meals are amazing and the staff are so warm and welcoming, also each bungalow is only a few steps from the beautiful beach. It's in the village of Fagamalo so you can walk around and chat to the locals. It's also only a few mins from "Swimming with the Turtles"

For fale accommodation check out Jane's and Tanu's at Manase, Lauiula and Joelan's at Lano and a little more remote try Va-i-Moana at Asau

Another favourite of ours is the very Samoan, very rustic Vaisala Hotel at beautiful Vaisala Bay, great rooms with air con and hot water which are a rarity in budget accom here, the food is great too.

Seeing you have the car just take your time to enjoy Samoa at your own pace stopping where and when you want - just bear in mind that most places you stop you will be asked to pay a fee (usually 5-10 tala) which goes towards the village childrens' education.

While you're getting a map from jasons.com/samoa also get a Visitor's Guide which has an extensive list of accommodation to suit all budgets.

Happy planning

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Savaii Lagoon Resort
Savaii Lagoon Resort
573 Reviews
Savai'i, Samoa
Fagamalo
Fagamalo
Savai'i, Samoa
Manase
Manase
Savai'i, Samoa
Asau
Asau
Savai'i, Samoa
Vaisala Hotel
Vaisala Hotel
63 Reviews
Savai'i, Samoa
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
Samoa
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savai'i

Savaii can be done in one day but it's best to split it up.

2/3 nights on the eastern end of Savaii - Lano, Fagamalo or Manase. As deb mentioned, Savaii Lagoon Resort in Fagamalo or the very upmarket Le Lagoto resort right next door. Beach Fales - Joelan in Lano or Tanu in Manase.

And then maybe a night or 2 on the other side. I'm also a big fan of Vaisala in Asau - the northern western end, great beach, great for swimming. Good food but also close to Vai I Moana which has great food - haven't stayed at Vai I Moana yet but looks pretty cool. These 2 places are close to the all the sites in Falealupo.

Satuiatua Beach Fales are another option - they're more to the south, closer to the Blowholes.

Mentioned in this post
Fagamalo
Fagamalo
Savai'i, Samoa
Manase
Manase
Savai'i, Samoa
Savaii Lagoon Resort
Savaii Lagoon Resort
573 Reviews
Savai'i, Samoa
Asau
Asau
Savai'i, Samoa
5. Re: Savai'i

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, May 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Savai'i
Recent Conversations