We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation on Savai'i for a single girl

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation on Savai'i for a single girl

Hi!

I'm planning a trip to Samoa and was going to spend 5 nights on Savai'i island but am having trouble choosing where I would like to stay... Originally I was looking at Satuitua beach fales because it really appealed to me and got good reviews. However I looked at a government travel website that said that crime has been on the rise in Samoa, I am still super keen to go and will not be deterred but I am wondering if I would be better to stay in a hotel over a beach fale on Savai'i? especially if I plan on getting out and about during the days (which would mean my stuff would stay at the accommodation).

Being a young single lady I would like to stay somewhere that other young travellers go so not looking for the kind of place that will be packed with families, but on the same token I am not that fussed on the backpacker/shared room hotels (shared facilities is fine)... am willing to stretch my budget if a place is worth it but I'm not that precious

Any suggestions for accommodation or general tips and ideas for my stay there would be much appreciated :)

PS. I'm not planning on taking anything irreplaceable and not expecting to have things taken...just more worried about if someone were to snatch a whole bag of stuff but esp. passport etc.. and I KNOW I need to keep that on me.. but I really don't want to take it snorkelling or to waterfalls :P

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Accomodation on Savai'i for a single girl

Malo lava

If you stay a couple of nights (or even one night) at Lalomanu, you can easily do the To Sua trench from there, and Namua Island is only about 15 mins drive from Lalomanu. If you spend some time snorkelling at Lalomanu, you are almost guaranteed to see turtles out there. Best time is early in the morning, but please be aware of the tides, wear fins and preferably don't go alone.

Namua Island has a lot of turtles nearby; there is an old dive site out the back of the island called the turtle minefield, and there used to be hundreds of turtles out there, so they are very plentiful in the area.

You can swim with the turtles on Savaii at Satoalepai (10 mins drive from Manase), but they are in captivity and the brackish ponds there are not everyone's cup of tea.

Snorkelling on Savai'i with Dive Savai'i, I almost guarantee you will see turtles there as well, plus it is a great operation to go diving with. They are really nice people.

Fa soifua

Tina

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Accomodation on Savai'i for a single girl

Nice! sounds like I will have a few options for swimming with turtles! Savai'i is the last leg of my trip so maybe I will visit the ones in captivity if all the other options fail, the turtle mine field definitely sounds like a goer!

Thanks heaps! :D

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Accomodation on Savai'i for a single girl

hi! Just a few last things I was wondering before I head off... IN 3 DAYS :D !!! if I am going to hire a car do I need an international drivers licence?? and what is a good car company to hire from on savaii?

Thank you!

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Accomodation on Savai'i for a single girl

Malo lava D

Woohoo, only 3 days, any room in your luggage for me???

You don't need an International Drivers licence just make sure you take your Aussie licence with you, the rental company will organise a temporary Samoan licence for you for around 20 tala and it covers you for 30 days.

Rental companies on Savaii are Savaii Rentals and PK Rentals, they are the main and most reliable ones.

Have an amazing time in this beautiful country

Fa soifua

Deb

15. Re: Accomodation on Savai'i for a single girl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 07, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Savai'i
Recent Conversations