We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eexcursion in Ushuaia

Which Ushuaia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia
9 posts
Save Topic
Eexcursion in Ushuaia

In March 2014 after return from Antarctica cruise, I want to stay in Ushuaia and nearby area for short of time. Here is the list of places I'd like to visit: the Strait of Magellan, Cape Horn, the postal office of end of the world, and Tierra del Fuego National Park.

Is one day enough to cover Tierra del Fuego and the southernmost postal office? Is there local public transportation to these places?

How can I reach Magellan and Cape Horn? From the map, they seem a little bit far from Ushuaia.(I can give up these two places if it's hard to reach or time consuming). And what activities can I do there?

Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eexcursion in Ushuaia

The Tierra del Fuego park highlights and the post office can be seen in one day. A local taxi can take you out to the park and there is a shuttle bus($20) which acts as a hop on/off at the different sights. There is also an old train within the park, but I think you can cover more territory with the shuttle buses.

The Straits of Magellan are located further north of Tierra del Fuego so this would require a cruise or other longer transport to see. Ushuaia is located on the Beagle Channel.

There are tour boats from the harbor in Ushuaia which will take you out to Cape Horn.

In addtion to the National Park, you might enjoy a visit to the Haberton Estancia which offer access to the penguin colony. This can either be done via boat or land excursion. The penguins are usually there until late in March; early April.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,007 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eexcursion in Ushuaia

Ricardo - I am curious and hope you can point me in the right direction.

I have several days in Ush on either side of an Antarctic trip.

I would really like to do a single day trip or an overnight trip to Cape Horn - but all I have found so far is trips on mid sized ships for 4 to 7 days. I was hoping for something smaller like a catamaran.

Do you know of any tour companies who do 1 or 2 days ? I have emailed Rumbo Sur but haven't heard back from them yet.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eexcursion in Ushuaia

I do not know of any smaller ships with scheduled trips to Cape Horn. There may be private vessels which are doing trips on a contract basis.

Most of the day or overnight trips are going to originate from the Chilean islands closer to Cape Horn.

Have a look at www.gochile.cl for availability.

It's quite possible that your Antartica cruise will have a pass by Cape Horn.

philadelphia
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eexcursion in Ushuaia

Thanks a lot, Rich!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,007 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eexcursion in Ushuaia

Thanks for that. On my last trip we departed in the evening so by the time we got our of the channel it was dark. So I really want to try and do the Horn separately and get a better feel for it.

Will have a look at the link you provided. Thanks :)

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Eexcursion in Ushuaia

Getting to Cape Horn (Chile) from Ushuaia (Argentina) might be a bit tricky unless you take the 3-night cruise on a Cruceros Australis ship. Disclaimer: I do an annual lecture series on "Stella Australis" which visits Isla Hornos on the second day. Depending on weather conditions, you can land on the island and climb the 160 steps to the top. I think the landing success rate is in the 70% ballpark. I don't know if anyone offers a day trip out of Ushuaia, but I doubt it -- it's about 100+ miles each way, so a bit much for such a trip.

Another consideration: March is close to the end of the cruising season, so the landing success rate might be less than I mentioned. Depending on your Antarctica dates, maybe you could hit Ushuaia before, not afterwards.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,007 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eexcursion in Ushuaia

Hmmm I have 4 nights in Ush at the end of Jan before the cruise and 4 nights in Ush at the end of feb after the cruise.

I will have a look at the dates for the 3 night cruises and see if they match up at all.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Eexcursion in Ushuaia

And keep in mind that all these cruises depart from Ushuaia and arrive at Punta Arenas, or vice versa. So if you find a convenient departure date from the former, you wind up at the latter. No big deal, because there's lots to see and do at both places. But it is a factor in planning your international flights -- presumably arriving in Buenos Aires and departing from Santiago (or as noted, vice versa).

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,007 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eexcursion in Ushuaia

Stella have sent me the trips that will fit with my Antarctica trip so just trying to work out the budget and the internal flights back to Santiago now to meet up with my return flight home. Hopefully I can make it all work.

Fillmore, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eexcursion in Ushuaia

Ushuaia

I want to take the viator trip to the park & rr ride. I will be arriving by cruise ship. Company says it does not pick up in port only at hotels

Can someone tell me the closest hotel & distance from port...maybe our group ca walk to the hotel to be picked up

thank you