We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra clothing from cruise now not needed - send home?

Glenelg, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Extra clothing from cruise now not needed - send home?

I am heading to Antarctica in December and after the cruise plan to spend some time touring. I don't want to have to lug my winter gear throughout South America.

Is there a way to send luggage back to Australia unaccompanied from Ushuaia?

Mentioned in this post
Latitud Ushuaia Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Ski & Snow Tours
Ushuaia City Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Tierra del Fuego Aventura
Sightseeing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra clothing from cruise now not needed - send home?

You could mail it, but chances are it won't be cheap.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
786 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra clothing from cruise now not needed - send home?

Sue, the other probably better option, would be to send it to somewhere in Buenos Aires. For example the hotel where you will be at the end of your trip- (I am assuming you will end in BA).

That will be much cheaper than sending it all the way to Australia from Ushuaia, and you can pick it up on the way back home.

Hope it helps!

Veronica

Say Hueque Argentina Tours

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Kokkola, Finland
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra clothing from cruise now not needed - send home?

I also found out the best option to get my stuff back to my country after first living here and then backpacking around is to send them to myself in the end of the trip. I'll do it through a friend. I was also told better to send even another country in South America than to Europe. And I checked the prices to Europe with national post and were hundreds of euros for ten kilos. Try if u find info DHL websites, etc. They are the most used for also post cards in Ushuaia! Also, I don't trust post of Argentina. Heard some extra fees which were not probably even legal, and this was picking up a package from post when it was sent elsewhere...

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Glenelg, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra clothing from cruise now not needed - send home?

Great idea, thanks. I'll check with the hotel and check that the would be happy to hold the luggage.

Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Extra clothing from cruise now not needed - send home?

we take our oldest clothing and also buy from second hand stores just for the trip, then donate it to the locals,at the end of the trip, the hotel service people are usually happy about this it is cheaper than the extra luggage fees the airlines charge now, and it frees space for souvenirs

Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Extra clothing from cruise now not needed - send home?

We take our oldest clothing and also purchase inexpensive second hand clothing just for our trips and then donate them to the locals at the end of the trip, it is cheaper than the extra fees the airline charge. It is also cheaper than mailing them home and you don't have to worry about them anymore.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,234 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extra clothing from cruise now not needed - send home?

Not very practical advice when talking about expensive winter gear for Antarctica !!

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Extra clothing from cruise now not needed - send home?

I am going to Antartica in February, what clothing do people pack. Thanks Irene

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,234 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extra clothing from cruise now not needed - send home?

Irene head over to the Antarctica forum where you will find tonnes of advice from all of us who have been there.

10. Re: Extra clothing from cruise now not needed - send home?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 04, 2015