We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On time performance of flights from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires

Which Ushuaia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
delaware
Level Contributor
174 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
On time performance of flights from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires

Hello,

I have a question about my upcoming visit to Patagonia (Feb/2013). At the end of my itinerary, I plan to fly from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires (EZE, international airport), 1:45 pm to 5:13 pm. I will then connect to a flight at 9 pm back to US. I have heard that flights from the Patagonia region are not very reliable at times. So based on your experience, is 4 hrs layover sufficient? How likely it is to miss the 9pm connecting flight?

thanks.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On time performance of flights from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires

Are both the flights booked on the same ticket? If so, then of you miss the connection, they will just put you on the next one for free.

I've flown out of USH twice and not had an issue. Have a look at the flight stats website. It indicates that this flight is on time approx 70% of the time.

Jon

www.theintrepidexplorers.com

delaware
Level Contributor
174 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On time performance of flights from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires

Thanks for the quick reply.

I haven't booked the flight yet, but it is going to involve two different airlines (United and Aerolineas Argentinas).

I guess if the delay is less than 2 hrs I should be ok. So if the reason for the frequent delay is weather related, then conceivably it could be longer. Is the whether pattern in Feb pretty stable?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: On time performance of flights from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires

Nano, I have the same issue with you, originally I am supposed to depart at 230am that day, but flight was changed to 145pm. So cross my fingers, then I am back to US on the 9pm flight to EWR.

As flights are limited in Ushuaia, most times there won't be an issue. But you never know... cross my fingers.

Anyway, what do you plan to do between then and board the plane in Ushuaia? As it is 24 hour daylight, just wondering what are you ideas

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On time performance of flights from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires

There are so many warnings on travel forum sites about tight travel schedules like yours.

Especially in South America where there are a 1001 reasons for possible travel disruptions, always plan to arrive in the destination of your flight 2 at least, preferably three days, before your flight home. Then , you can afford the time to make alternate arrangements.

In reality, anybody who knows Argentina well will tell you Aerolineas domestic flights are almost always delayed.

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On time performance of flights from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires

I meant "the destination of your flight home"'.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On time performance of flights from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires

I just returned from Ushuaia last week and I was on the 1:45 flight with a 9 PM connection to JFK from EZE. Aerolineas Argentina made a schedule change a few days before the flight while we were in Antarctica changing the flight to 5:45PM, causing many of us to potentially miss our international connections. Most of us just headed to the airport straightaway to deal with it (around 9am) and were put on standby for the 12PM flight to AEP. I was very fortunate to get ticketed around 11:30am and arrived in AEP with enough time to transfer to EZE without a problem. Some people went into town to the Aerolineas Argentina office so they could shop/sightsee while they waited, but I did not see any of them make the flight (which ended up being full with all of us on standby) so I recommend handling issues at the airport. To Aerolineas Argentina's credit, they gave seats in order of who had international flights to make that day over the people just trying to fly out to beat the National Strike scheduled for the next day as many people headed to the airport to avoid that as well.

My advice is to be vigilant following up on the Aerolineas Argentina flights as I did not end up on either plane I was booked on due to delays. I got re-routed on the way down, checking in at 6am for my 8am flight from AEP-USH only to be shuttled to EZE for the 7:25am flight instead that stopped in El Calafate en route to Ushuaia. The gate agent told me the flight I was booked on was all but cancelled, and that I was going to be put on a direct flight EZE-USH (it wasn't) and that we had plenty of time to make the AEP-EZE transfer in the cab they paid for (it wasn't - we ran for our lives to catch that plane). In the end I made it to Ushuaia relatively on time, but I think it was only because I was so very careful about times and keeping up with the airline schedule changes so I could fix what flights I was on before they were an issue rather than wait until my tickets turned into the proverbial pumpkins.

Next time I fly LAN!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: On time performance of flights from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires

Thanks Anonymous826

Experience is useful, though I think arriving at Buenos Aires 3 days ahead is borderline insane (as previous comment).

What time did the ferry arrive back at Ushuaia, the tour company Quark Expedition told me it is okay to book any flight after 11am.

As I notice the flights get changed around pretty frequently here, I was thinking what I am planning to do is get to the airport first thing, hopefully this was an isolated incident.

Just curious if they put you up on the flight at 12 to AEP, why do you still need to run to EZE? The supposed EZE flight doesnt depart till 145pm. Also as I hope the date I depart Ushuaia Jan 5th will be a busy season for them, so planes fill up, which is what I guess they canceled in the first place (empty plane). I had to deal with that a lot where I live in US

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: On time performance of flights from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires

The MS Expedition actually docked the night before we were scheduled to disembark, but the transfers from the boat did not start until 8am depending on where you were going. Not sure the Quark practice, but the airport is literally right there, 10 minute drive tops.

I spent one night in Buenos Aires as a buffer for my flights. It was completely sufficient. I was anxious to get to Ushuaia because I was splurging on a spa hotel and wanted to get my money's worth, but a delay wouldn't have been the end of the world. I did allow an extra night in Ushuaia on top of the one included in the cruise package though (so two nights total in Ushuaia).

The transfer from AEP to EZE on the way home was not a rushed affair. By the time the flight took off (also slightly delayed), we collected our luggage, and purchased tickets for the Manuel Tienda Leon the flight time difference had been made up for, but it was not a rush. I think it was around 7 by the time I had re-checked my bag in at EZE. So I had a full 2 hours for dinner and blowing the rest of my pesos.

The rush was on the way down because I only had 75 minutes to transfer airports unexpectedly since they booked me on the earlier flight to avoid the delay on the way down to Ushuaia.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: On time performance of flights from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires

Okay good to know, so I will be able to have a full day to visit Tierra Del Fuego National Park,

As for the planes, really nothing I can do... just cross fingers

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,007 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: On time performance of flights from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires

Quarks disembarkation process is done in a specific order. The night before everyone is given coloured tags for luggage according to whether they are going straight to the airport or to hotels or day tours etc. you then disembark according to the priorities of the colours.

It's all sorted so those with flights can make them.

Generally they dock at dawn but there are a lot of preparations etc so you still have time for breakfast etc. but you can see the airport from the jetty so it's not like its an ordeal to get there.

Personally I have always included buffer days when flying to meet ships to anywhere. Why risk missing the boat !! I like to have a minimum two day buffer on either side just to account for any flight delays.