We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 have 1 day in ushuaia via cruise

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
1 have 1 day in ushuaia via cruise

i will be there beginning of january 2012 with 3 other adults, 1 child-will leave in the boat

i see the option is take the end of the world train to the park

or see the pinguins,

should i book an excursion from the cruise ship

or can i take the train right off the cruise port? would be nice to get a stamp on passport from that train. or can i take a cab? what are the costs? or entrance fees?

what is the one thing I should do?

Edited: 11:33 am, November 17, 2011
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 have 1 day in ushuaia via cruise

hum i will be there 12 noon to 8 pm

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,407 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 have 1 day in ushuaia via cruise

All of the tours are available from the ship's excursion desk, however they can get quite pricey.

For penguins, I would book the tour at Puerto Madryn/Peninsula Valdes when your ship docks at that port since that is the largest rookery.

In Ushuaia, the Tierra del Fuego National Park is a must see. The train(requires transportation to the train station which is next to the park from the cruise terminal) does not do it justice and is best seen with the car. You can negotiate with a taxi driver in the port area(many will be there) to take you into the park and show you the highlights. You will need to negotiate the price for the day and should figure on at least $US120. After the park have the driver take you to the ski lift at the Martial Glacier where you can ride to the top and have some lovely photos of the Beagle Channel and the surrounding area.

Entrance to the Park and the ski lift tickets wil be extra costs.

Have fun with your holiday planning.

Edited: 11:54 am, November 17, 2011
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 have 1 day in ushuaia via cruise

thanks for the tips,

i think i will get a driver for the day and hopefully they will take US dollars

do u think then i have to change some money to enter the park and to get the ski lift tickets?

do u mean ride to the top for the photos and how would i come back down?

or can the car drive up? at martial glacier i mean

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,407 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 have 1 day in ushuaia via cruise

The driver will gladly accept dollars and you can use a credit card for the ski lift.

Ask the driver if they will accept dollars for the National Park. If not then just have the driver stop off at an ATM and get some pesos. The driver will probably exchange the dolalrs for you for the entrance fee since dollars are king right now in Argentina and the exchange rates are very good.

The ski lift accepts passengers for the ride up and the ride down so no worries.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 have 1 day in ushuaia via cruise

thanks for your advices

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 have 1 day in ushuaia via cruise

I was there this time last year and the ski lift was not operational. The drivers said it only runs in winter.

Pretty arduous walk uphill without the aid of the ski lift but the view was definitely worthwhile. My legs didnt forgive me for a few days tho!!!!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,053 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 have 1 day in ushuaia via cruise

"All of the tours are available from the ship's excursion desk, however they can get quite pricey."

That is exactly my concern. Any recommendations for a a private tour company? We are especially interested in seeing Tierra del Fuego National Park.

Any one use http://www.southexcursions.com ?

Edited: 11:17 pm, November 20, 2011
vancouver island
Level Contributor
11 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 have 1 day in ushuaia via cruise

I have not used this company but when I checked their prices they charged more than the cruiseship.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 have 1 day in ushuaia via cruise

i will be going in less than 2 weeks and will give try to give an update when i get back.

10. Re: 1 have 1 day in ushuaia via cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 01, 2013