We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which denomination dollar bills are better?

Which El Calafate hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Which denomination dollar bills are better?

Which denomination USD bills are better? 1, 5, 10, 20, 100?

I know they have to be in crisp condition; wondering which denominations are more easily acceptable.

Thanks

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which denomination dollar bills are better?

Bring Ben Franklins to get the best possible exchange rate.....

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which denomination dollar bills are better?

Gaucho is correct. Think about the value of a suitcase full of $20's vs. 100's. Those $100's are much more sensible for hoarding, traveling, hiding, smuggling. Bigger bills are much more efficient.

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which denomination dollar bills are better?

Ok, I will get some Bens :-)

Thanks

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which denomination dollar bills are better?

Is it possible to get a good exchange rate in Patagonia or is it better to do all our exchanging in Buenos Aires before heading down?

I am currently able to get an exchange rate of 9.4 via a private party in BA but my only concern is that if we exchange too much before the trip and don't use it all, it would be impossible to exchange it back to dollars afterwards....

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which denomination dollar bills are better?

I am going to Patagonia in December 2013 and would be interested in hearing about your experiences with dollars there. Also, is it easy to spend dollars themselves rather than exchange for Argentine money? What about Chile?

california
Level Contributor
6 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which denomination dollar bills are better?

We just returned from Argentina, including Patagonia. In Ushuaia, we didn't find anyone on the streets, so our hotel operator helped us get the blue rate through a friend.

In buenos aires, we want to calle Florida and we were asked every ten feet "cambio, cambio". In salta, it was around the main square.

Everyone we exchanged money with wanted $100 bills, but when I only had $20s and $10s, they tried to lower the rate. We would walk away and they would change their tune and still give me the original rate.

The only time we paid for items in USD, was for excursions and hotels that gave us a better rate than govt. otherwise it will be best to have pesos.

Rio Gallegos...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which denomination dollar bills are better?

Hola yo soy de El Calafate, Argentina, en todos los bancos de todo el pais les dan aproximadamente por 100 dólares 600 pesos argentinos, si necesitan más información me mandan un mail, saludos

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which denomination dollar bills are better?

thank you, Daniel. For those who want it, here is an English translation of Daniel's post:

Hello i am from El Calafate, Argentina, in all banks throughout the country give them approximately $100 by 600 Argentine pesos, if you need more information send me a mail, greetings

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which denomination dollar bills are better?

Related to the $100 bills - there are now newer versions of the $100 bills available in banks in USA - assume these are acceptable in Argentina? Or will I have a problem since they look a bit different from the old ones though they still have Ben Franklin on them?

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which denomination dollar bills are better?

The newer and crisper the better?

Who at a restaurant to query and when, when hoping to pay in US Dollars at a favorable rate?