We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in mid April in Patagonia

Which El Calafate hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
367 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear in mid April in Patagonia

We are doing the following tours in mid April:

1) Hiking and Canoeing in Tierra del Fuego and Maritime Excursion in Ushuia

2) Glacier tour in El Calafate

3) Big Circuit Tour Bariloche

4) Andean Lake Crossing Bariloche to Chile

What clothes and footwear do we need? Is a rain jacket with several layers sufficient or a thick parka is required? Do we need boots or ordinary running shoes will do?

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in mid April in Patagonia

Hi,

I would take a pair of good hiking boots (ankle support is a must, IMO) and a parka.

The average temperature for Tierra del Fuego in April is 5º Celsius.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
763 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in mid April in Patagonia

Hola Epping!

I agree with Vero and I think trekking boots are a must, but if you are doing a lot of hiking. As far as I can see in the only excursion you have some trekking involved is the excursion on Tierra del Fuego National Park. You should check, but I think it is about 1 1/2 walking time. Although still trekking boots are the recommendables ones, if you are going to carry them just for this excursion, might be too heave. There are some models lighter but designed for outdoor that would be good enough for an activity like this.

A good jacket, preferable water prooff, so that if you have bad weather on your excursions you still can have fun.

For the Maritime excursion in Ushuaia (I guess it is the boat trip on the Beagle Channel) you don't need specific cloths, as the boat itself is very warm and you can stay inside. There are some boat trips that make a stop of one hour for a walk in one of the islands. In this case the jacket will be very useful also.

For the glacier tour in Calafate, you don't really need specific clothes unless you are taking the Minitrekking or the Big Ice.

For the regular excursion I suggest sun glasses (for the glaciar reflection), scarff, hut and gloves. Dress like an onion with many lyers.

The Andean crossing includes buses and boats, but doesnt really involve any walking. Althoug it is rainning and cold, will be good to keep warm (again, dress like an onion!).

I hope it helps!

Have fun!! Sounds a great itinerary!

Veronica

Say Hueque Argentina Tours

Sydney
Level Contributor
367 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in mid April in Patagonia

Thank you for your help

4. Re: What to wear in mid April in Patagonia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 20, 2014