We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV rental -- El Calafate

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
35 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
RV rental -- El Calafate

hello all,.

There are 4 of us looking to rent an RV/winnebago to use for 8 days in southern Patagonia. Anyone know is this is possible? If so, any vendor recommendations?

(if not we'll go with a car rental that will need multiple border crossings....)

Munich
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV rental -- El Calafate

Hallo,

i think, this is not possible. There are only 2 or 3 companies which rent out very small camper, and all of them are in Buenos Aires. you would have to pay much more money for the one-way-rental, than for the days you'd have the car. For example try: http://www.andeanroads.com/ which is a very trustable company.

When you rent a car you have to tell them that you will cross the border. Because they have to do the paperwork in adcanve.

Beate

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
35 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV rental -- El Calafate

thanks very much for the help. For clarification, we are not planing a one-way rental, we will pick up and drop off the vehicle in the same location; we have heard that one-ways are either prohibitively expensive or not available.

with that said, does anyone know which is a "better" car rental location, El Calafate or Ushuaia? we will visit the areas between those two spots and return the car at the same pick-up spot...

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
319 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV rental -- El Calafate

I think ReiseBeate is correct - I don't think US-style RV/winnebago's exist in Patagonia. You will be limited to a choice of regular saloon (sedan) cars or 4x4s. The choice of El Calafate or Ushuaia is down to what you want to see, all I would suggest is that as Ushuaia is at the 'end of the line' - there is very little in the immediate vicinity of Ushuaia that you can use a car for. All your trips would have to head north across Argentine Tierra del Fuego, although you'd even have to enter into Chile to get the ferry to mainland Argentina. My vote would be for El Calafate - at least you can use this as a base to see both North and South sections of the Los Glaciares National Park and you could also cross to Torres del Paine in Chile. But you will need to ensure you have all the correct paperwork to take a car across the international boundary.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
35 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV rental -- El Calafate

thanks very much for that. Our idea right now is to rent a car at one of those two places and then see the sights between the two; thus, if we rent from El Calafate, we would drive down to Ushuaia, seeing the parks and glacier in between. If we rent from Ushuaia we would instead drive north to El Calafate, seeing the stuff in between in that direction. Then we would drive back a different route as much as possible to the place where we picked up the vehicle. Since there seem to be two ferry crossings to/from TdF, we'd try them both, one on the way, one on the way back! any other advice from anyone with that in mind would be so appreciated...

5. Re: RV rental -- El Calafate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about El Calafate