We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for best Patagonian experience

NY, NY
Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for best Patagonian experience

We are going to be in the area for 3 days in early November. Do you suggest splurging for 3 nights at Hosteria Helsingfors or staying at Los Sauces and doing a FD tour to Perito Moreno Glacier, catwalks etc?

Thanks

Cerro Frias
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Eco Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
TodoCalafate
Sightseeing Tours
Mundo Austral
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
London
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for best Patagonian experience

We will also be in Patagonia in November and would like answers to the same questions as you! Would really appreciate advice.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Patagonia
Patagonia
Argentina
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for best Patagonian experience

We spent three nights in El Calafate early last October. We didn't stay at the hotels mentioned, but at a moderate hotel called Hosteria Hainen which we loved. I had a difficult time finding pricing on the tours to Perito Moreno and the full day All Glaciers Boat Tour. Juan, the hotel manager, was very helpful in sending pricing and making the reservations.

We spent some time at Laguna Nimez which is about a 15 minute walk from the main street. It's a bird sanctuary on the shores of the lake and was a great spot to watch the sunset.

We had good meals at La Tablita and Mi Viejo.

Many people enjoy the ice treks on the glacier, but we didn't do that.

The scenery is absolutely gorgeous - enjoy your trips!

Mentioned in this post
Hosteria Hainen
Hosteria Hainen
339 Reviews
El Calafate, Argentina
Perito Moreno
Perito Moreno
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina
La Tablita
La Tablita
3,147 Reviews
El Calafate, Argentina
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for best Patagonian experience

Just to give you another suggestion at the pricier end of things. I loved my stay at Eolo Lodge. The price is all inclusive (meals and drinks) or at least we went with that option and for us it was great value. Beautiful place and really helpful staff and much more to do than you will have time for.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
859 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for best Patagonian experience

Hi Lina,

How would you define "best Patagonian experience"? You may mean a 5 star hotel where you can feel pampered or a rustic, inn-like place or even rural accomodations...

We've been to El Calafate last April and spent 3 nights at Hostería Hainen. Warm atmosphere, very nice and helpful front desk people, large comfortable rooms. Breakfast was very basic and you had to walk up from main street to get there. But the overall experience was very positive. During those days, we were out of the hotel touring most of the time anyway.

But for the last day of our stay (once back to El Calafate from a couple of days trekking at El Chaltén) we decided to splurge and stayed at the Alto Calafate Hotel which was also a very positive experience but completely different from the other one. Gone were the sensation of being welcome at someone's home but we could enjoy a pleasant indoor pool and spa, a great restaurant on the premises, an incredible buffet breakfast and a view to die for (both city and lake at your feet).

Hope our experience helps you decide. Regards,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for best Patagonian experience

I deliberated on eolo/helsingfors/cristina a lot myself and I just wrote a helsingfors review that will hopefully be posted soon.

In short, I'd highly recommend it. Perito Moreno is over-rated unless you're seeing it as part of the Big Ice trek offered by Hielo y Aventura (which I did). If you're not doing a trek it's not much more than a photo op of the face of the glacier and I'd have a hard time recommending it over helsingfors otherwise, and Estancia Cristina is a better one day excursion.

I also think that if you're going to helsingfors, you have to do 3 nights to get the most of it. The best part about it was that although we did lots of hiking and physical activity, it was supremely relaxing and we always came back to a very good meal, or could sit by the fire and enjoy charcuterie or pastries and tea in the afternoon. Service there is exceptional.

It's not quite as luxurious as eolo, but I think it offers more. Eolo is just outside of calafate and you generally have to leave the hotel to do anything, which means getting up earlier. While eolo has some included activities, they're not really comparable to activities at Cristina and Helsingfors, And at Helsingfors/Cristina, as soon as you leave the room you're at your included excursions. FWIW, Estancia Cristina is a better comparison to what Helsingfors offers and there are advantages to each but there's no way you'd go wrong with either (I've been to both, but cristina only for a day trip).

If you go with Helsingfors, it's definitely still worth seeing estancia cristina on a day trip or doing the big ice trek. they are complementary experiences to what you will get at helsingfors.

FWIW, Hosteria Helsingfors was the best part of my 3 week trip that included Patagonia, Buenos Aires, and Iguazu.

Edited: 5:51 pm, September 16, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Perito Moreno
Perito Moreno
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina
Estancia Cristina
Estancia Cristina
2,051 Reviews
El Calafate, Argentina
Helsingfors
Helsingfors
82 Reviews
El Calafate, Argentina
Patagonia
Patagonia
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
6. Re: Where to stay for best Patagonian experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 26, 2013