We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who has done the Big Ice Trek in El Calafate?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
481 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Who has done the Big Ice Trek in El Calafate?

I was wondering if anyone here has done the Big Ice Trek in El Calafate. I hear different things from different people and I'm looking for a clearer picture.

Just how hard is it? I live in the Pacific Northwest and go hiking on a regular basis and don't have a problem doing 4-5 hour hikes around this area. I am not what most would be considered 'fit" and could lose a bit of weight but I'm still active and do 15-20 mile bike rides as well.

I hiked Hyuana Picchu last year, it was damn tough due to not enough water and being humid and MUCH higher altitude but I made it.

Any input would be great!

Martinique
Level Contributor
6 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Who has done the Big Ice Trek in El Calafate?

For Big Ice the issue is not weather you are fit or not(although indispensable). The issue is insurance! You have an accident out there the company has medical insurance covering people under 60 and not over. You could end up paying all the bills for a rescue! As I said above we were told 60. unless they have changed today.

12. Re: Who has done the Big Ice Trek in El Calafate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 07, 2013
Get answers to your questions about El Calafate