We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1/2 Day Activity In Calafate?

Which El Calafate hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
1/2 Day Activity In Calafate?

Hello,

My wife and I will be travelling to El Calafate in early January. We're planning on doing the Big Ice tour on the 5th and will be returning to Buenos Aires in the evening on the 6th. Our flight is at 6:30 that evening and I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on a 1/2 day activity which we could complete by 3 or 4 so that we won't have any issues catching our flight.

Thanks!

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1/2 Day Activity In Calafate?

We did a jeep tour that took you up a mountain for some georgous view of scenery and nature. Afterward, they bring you back to the lodge for lunch.

Córdoba
Level Contributor
571 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1/2 Day Activity In Calafate?

As for as I know the Cerro Frías excursion takes about 6 hours, you can also go to the estancias in the region: Nibepo Aike and/or El Galpon. All these excursions can be booked locally with tour operators. Another option is a visit to the Glaciarium museum, close to Calafate. Anyway in January it is high season, so there is a lot of activities that can be planned.

Enjoy Argentina,

Jan

Heart of Argentina Travel

Greenburgh, New York
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1/2 Day Activity In Calafate?

Will the weather during a late August visit allow for walking on the glacier? Need help finding a reputable tour company in El Calafate - to plan visit their. Thanks.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1/2 Day Activity In Calafate?

Why not hire a couple of bikes and ride around. Or you could also go zip lining.

Greenburgh, New York
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1/2 Day Activity In Calafate?

In the dead of the Argentinian winter? I'm more concerned whether anything will be passable -- i.e. will be able to hike near/on the glacier?

6. Re: 1/2 Day Activity In Calafate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, May 04, 2013