We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expats, where do you wire US dollars?

Which San Carlos de Bariloche hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
50 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Expats, where do you wire US dollars?

We're in Bariloche, on an eight month trip and long out of US dollars in our pockets. Getting killed by the ATM and bank fees. In Buenos Aires, I was able to wire funds through Xoom at a good rate. No Xoom here and Western Union goes by the official rate. Do I jump over to Chile? Would appreciate some advice from someone who has figured out how to obtain dollars or a better exchange rate on a wire transfer. Thanks!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,273 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expats, where do you wire US dollars?

You can hop over to Chile and get Chilean pesos from an ATM. You then have to change them to dollars at an exchange place. Dollars are a bit expensive at the moment so you want to do the math first. You would have to factor in the cost of the trip over too. You might be able to change Chilean pesos directly for a blue rate there in Bariloche, but I don't really know.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expats, where do you wire US dollars?

Xoom goes by its rate..... it does not use the official exchange rate. Your issue may be that you don't have a Xoom cash pickup location in Bariloche. I know some people in Bariloche that may be able to help you, but you will have to take a leap of faith in that you will be wiring them the funds first and get paid out the cash after the funds are credited.

Else, you would need to find a "cambista" in Bariloche that will provide you a solution, but that will also need you to trust them in the same way, no money exchanger will give you cash until AFTER you wire the funds into the account they designate.

3. Re: Expats, where do you wire US dollars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, March 04, 2015