We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good, bad and ugly (if any)

Which San Carlos de Bariloche hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
good, bad and ugly (if any)

I will have six nights in Bariloche later in March.

I would love to hear any opinions on tours, places to eat etc.

Av. I won't have a car (tours and local buses for me)

I have researched where I would like to go but like some help to avoid traps.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good, bad and ugly (if any)

restless:

I am the good. DD is the bad and AV the UGLY.

And you choose the UGLY :(

Take a look at

www.interpatagonia.com

a) Tours: Seven Lakes (Siete Lagos) is a must do. San Martin de los Andes / Villa La Angostura / LLAO LLAO Hotel . Isla Victoria / Bosque Arrayanes....

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good, bad and ugly (if any)

Hi, restless lady from Brisbane!

In our show, Santiagov plays the good guy, but sometimes, like yesterday, he behaves like a very bad boy, telling rude jokes, in Spanish, to boot.

I play the bad guy and I don't mind the role.

We agree DD has mutated from the "sage of Athens" to a bad cowboy from Abilene, with many notches on his Colt Peacemaker.

Tell me a little more about your dates and about your research, which would make it easier to help you. As I told you in another thread, you can write to me to albertovgalloATyahoo.com

I'll be in Bariloche for 10 more days and I can find out whatever I don't know. There are 3 chapters to go in my Bariloche research: about where to eat I already know and about where to stay I have a good idea. My weakness is in what to do.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: good, bad and ugly (if any)

for good ideas on what to do in Bariloche,try:

www.interpatagonia.com

www.welcomeargentina.com

www.curiocitytravel.com

And don't forget the rafting at the Manso river!! quite an adventure.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good, bad and ugly (if any)

Hola!

I hope no-one finds out how addictive this playing around on forums is. It could be a vice I think.

Thank you llana, i will check those sites out. I tried rafting in N.Z. and hit someone on the head with the paddle so for the safety of all perhaps not again.

Santi @ company. A fun show it is too. You should charge for it. I have to pick av.because Santi is too young.

My first choice is Isla Victoria, then El Bolson & Lago Puelo San Martin de los Andes. The circuito chico I can do most of by myself on the local bus. Might think about hiring a bike if it is possible. I love riding down very long, steep hills at home. My 21 speed man's bike took a while to get used to and everything passes me but I still get there.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good, bad and ugly (if any)

Restless: we all know it is an addiction and TA knows it too, saying: "you’ll probably get hooked on our Forums."

"Santi & company"!!!! And my name is not there because I am old!!! I am deeply offended!!!! LOL!!!!

Getting down to business, the boat outing to the Isla Victoria and the Bosque de Arrayanes boat outing is a must for tourists. I did it a few days ago. The best part, as far as I'm concerned were the seagulls taking biscuits out of my hand. Have a picture taken as you do it.

I have been to El Bolsón several times and I would say it is not worth it.

Concerning Lago Puelo and San Martin de los Andes, it could be OK, but I don't really know.

OK for the Circuito Chico.

Send me more info to the e-mail I gave you several times and I MAY be able to arrange for a bike.

You say: "I love riding DOWN very long, steep hills at home." I hope you also love riding UP, because you can't have only riding DOWN. LOL!!!!!

Good morning for you, good night for us.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good, bad and ugly (if any)

BTW, restless, perhaps you should consider taking a look at the Villa La Angostura area.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good, bad and ugly (if any)

The Villa La Angostura area looks wonderful.

I would love to walk the peninsula and go back on the boat but I think I could be too late in the season for the public transport to get me there. I will see when I get there.

Those web sites are very good. Some of the tours may not be still going when I get there too.

If not I will just have to eat more chocolate and ice-cream to make myself feel better.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good, bad and ugly (if any)

Restless: there certainly will be public transportation to take you from the town of Bariloche to Puerto Pañuelo, the place where the boat outing to the Isla Victoria and the Bosque de Arrayanes leaves from.

Don't forget the picture with the seagulls eating from your hand. If you wish to save a few pesos, have another tourist take the picture with your own camera.

Should you wish to save a few more pesos, take a sandwich with you, but you won't be helping the Argentine economy much!!!! LOL!!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: good, bad and ugly (if any)

Av. Seagulls are wicked birds and I'm sure they are very good at hitting targets like the birds in B.A.

It will not be very long before the ordinary Australian can't afford Argentina any more but you will probably not miss us too much because we are not big spenders. (very deep pockets, not crocodiles). Have to make the dollars go as far as we can.

We will be happy for you but not for us.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: good, bad and ugly (if any)

Restless,

The time may well come when average persons from most anywhere, not just Australia, can no longer afford Argentina. It is ironic that word has gotten out that Argentina is a travel bargain destination, but as people flock to Argentina to take advantage of the bargains they drive up prices....

Argentina is moving ahead at a frantic pace to develop an infrastructure to handle the increase in tourism, but by the time the infrastructure catches up to the demand prices may be such that the tourists have vanished. More specifically, tourism may have returned to more "normal" levels as bargain hunters move on to less costly destinations.

Meanwhile, squeeze every bit of enjoyment you can out of your trip, since you may never pass that way again.