We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car thru Hertz in BARILOCHE

new york city
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Topic
Renting a car thru Hertz in BARILOCHE

Hello Everyone,

I do have a reservation and reservation # but still not sure if I will go forward.Staying at Llao Llao and they have a Hertz counter at the hotel.They also have a location somewhere downtown and they are connected with the Llao Llao location.

The person at HERTZ doesnt have my credit card info just my name and as I stay in the hotel of course he would find me plus I am not hiding at all and might take the car....but i need your advice..

They charge me approx. $565 for 4 days with a drop off in San Martin so I know I have to pay the drop off...that is ok...but after reading all the horror stories maybe I should just take the bus to San Martin and any side trips from Bariloche...i am sure there are local buses??? are they?

or worst case tour agencies...and most likely i will be more trapped by going the group schedule but at least a car rental agent wont rip me off...

Hertz cant really protect you abroad as they all independently operated....and again the contract might not even have a Hertz letterhead but some other company...

I will call AMEX see what they can offer to make me feel more comfortable with the rental..

Any advice appreciated.

Best,

Hanna

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car thru Hertz in BARILOCHE

Most car rental contracts in Argentina include all inclusive insurance except if you roll the car then you have to pay a fee for repair,so you shouldn't worry about damaging the car. Most cars are manual shift so hopefully you are comfortable with that. Is there a reason why you need a one way rental? If you can return the car to Bariloche then you save the drop off charge. It's possible to do the Seven Lakes Drive one way then return with the paved road to Bariloche. It's cheaper to fly out of Bariloche than the airport at San Martin and less chance of airport closesure at what occurs at San Martin.

There are a few choices of roads to San Martin from Bariloche. One highway is paved the entire way. The other choices which are the more scenic(7 lakes drive) are part paved and some gravel/dirt roads leavdng from Villa Angostura. All the choices are quite safe;even though the gravel roads can be a little bumpy.

In summary: the drive along the 7 lakes from Bariloche to San Martin is a highlight and shouldn'tbe missed. There are buses that do this route but you lose the opportunity to stop at various points and shoot photos and experience the beauty of the area.

Another car company to use is: www.norteasur-rentacar.com.ar

2. Re: Renting a car thru Hertz in BARILOCHE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 20, 2010