We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate

NYC
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate

Has anyone made the drive from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate lately? We are planning to go in early November and originally planned on overnight bus but that seems to take over 24 hours and involves transfers. Has anyone taken the bus lately? Can't decide which is the best option. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Madryn
Puerto Madryn
Province of Chubut, Argentina
El Calafate
El Calafate
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina
London
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate

I'm taking the Andesmar bus in a couple of days from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate. The bus leaves PM at 13.00 arrives in Rio Gallegos at 7am, then have to wait until 9am for the El Pingüino bus which gets to El Calafate at 12.50. So 24 hours all up. Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Madryn
Puerto Madryn
El Calafate
El Calafate
London
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate

I'm taking the Andesmar bus in a couple of days from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate. The bus leaves PM at 13.00 arrives in Rio Gallegos at 7am, then have to wait until 9am for the El Pingüino bus which gets to El Calafate at 12.50. So 24 hours all up. Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Madryn
Puerto Madryn
El Calafate
El Calafate
Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate

It's a long driving and I haven't done it mainly because it's deserted!!! I don't trust my or rent a car enough to adventure without another car going with me.

Some friends have driven, but all of them are very experienced off the beaten drivers...

NYC
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate

Pappystorm: Would you be kind enough to post your experience once you have gone through it? I appreciate any details you can provide. Thanks!

Edited: 2:14 pm, October 05, 2016
NYC
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate

mamaluc: Thanks. Leaning more to the bus option but maybe break it up by staying overnight at an intermediate area be it Rio Gallegos or somewhere else. I'm sure its not as harsh as it sounds but traveling 24 hours on a bus seems really exhausting.

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate

The bus was fine but I had a first class seat which folds into a bed so was able to lie flat and sleep. There are lots of posts about the buses on this site.

It is a huge distance from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate - 18 hrs with few stops and really nothing on the road except trucks. Few towns and it seems not many gas stations! They drive for about 6 hours without stopping but the drivers are used to it and it felt safe.

No point in staying overnight in Zrio Gallagos as the next bus is only 4 hours to El Calafate and really there isn't thing there.

I guess you could fly - there is an airport at El Calafate but I don't know if you can fly direct from Trelew.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Madryn
Puerto Madryn
El Calafate
El Calafate
NYC
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate

Thanks for the report back! We decided to go with the suite class bus also. Hope your trip is/was good. Can't wait to get there.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate

We are taking bus from El calafate to Rio Gallegos (4 hours ) and then 1 hour flight to Comodoro Rivadavia for an nights sleep before a bus to Puerto Madryn. Not cheap but couldn't bear the thought of that long bus journey! Am sure it will be fine though. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
El Calafate
El Calafate
Puerto Madryn
Puerto Madryn
9. Re: Drive from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 26, 2017