We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Bus Routes and Flights

ShAGA518
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help with Bus Routes and Flights

Hello,

I am planning on traveling to patagonia dec. 19-jan. 21 2012. My three areas of interest are

Puerto Madryn

Lake General Carrera

El Calafate/Puerto Natales (Chalten, TDP)

I am flying into buenos aires and will probobly fly from buenos aires to puerto madryn one way. Now this is where i am confused i want to....

bus from puerto madryn to puerto piramides (~5 nights)

bus from Puerto madryn to Lake General Carrera (~4 nights)

bus from Lake General Carrera to Calafate (~11 nights)

bus from El Calafate to Chalten and TDP

fly from El Calafate to Buenos Aires

is this in any way possible or practical i am open to flying or ferries as i have alot of money and time to spend. I am having trouble finding cheap busses and maps of patagonia bus routes, and also any bus routes that go through lake general carrera it seems so isolated.

thanks in advance for any help!

Córdoba
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Bus Routes and Flights

Your schedule seems very interesting, BUT I think it will be difficult to execute, because getting from Madryn to LGC (Chile Chico) will not be easy by bus. I wont say impossible, because I don´t know the exact connections from f.e. Comodoro Rivadavia, but travelling by bus in Patagonia is not so easy. Besides you then want to continu the trip to Calafate and to get from Chile Chico to Calafate will be complicated as well.....

I know that there exists a bus service from Bariloche to Calafate, which takes 2 days over the ruta 40 and makes a night stop over in Perito Moreno, that maybe could be an option......

From Madryn to Calafate is possible with a direct flight (via Trelew) with Aerolineas. If you skip the plan to go to Lago General Carrera you could spend more time in the South, where around Calafate/Chalten/Torres del Paine the bus connections are much better and everything is connected by land.

Conclusion: I wouldn´t spend all this time you have on buses, but takes some flights and enjoy the landscape on the spot.

Enjoy!

Jan

Córdoba
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Bus Routes and Flights

I forgot to mention: use the site of Plataforma 10 (http://www.plataforma10.com/) to get some ideas about distances and possible connections.

Regards,

Jan

Córdoba
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Bus Routes and Flights

On the Plataforma10 page I found out that there is a bus connection between Comodoro Rivadavia and Los Antiguos. From that village on the Chilean border you should be able to get to Chile Chico (at least with a taxi).

4. Re: Help with Bus Routes and Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, October 26, 2012