We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Welsh interest in Puerto Madryn

UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
622 reviews
Save Topic
Welsh interest in Puerto Madryn

Can the local expert advise me about finding out about the Welsh in the area. Like another correspondent on this forum, we are on a cruise ship in port t Puerto Madryn for a day on 11 Feb

I am interested in genealogy and the Welsh in Patagonia. A couple of years ago I found some distant relatives living near Trevelin, and would like to get in touch with Welsh museum in the Puerto Madryn area, but I cannot find an email or web site

We would like to visit whatever is left of Wales in the area - not a lot I think, and need to do the homework in advance.

Any help in getting in touch with Welsh there would be appreciated

Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Welsh interest in Puerto Madryn

The Welsh influence is alive and well in this area and all along the Chubut river valley into the Andes.

The language has been preserved unchanged from when first immigrants arrived over 100 years ago. In Gaiman there is a chaple with a Celtic service every weekend.

There are Welsh tea houses which serve very nice homemade cakes, breads along with butter and marmelades.

It should'nt be difficult to locate your relatives. Send me a PM with their name and I can as ask some of the decendents I know.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
989 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Welsh interest in Puerto Madryn

Try looking here for leads too:

www.trelewpatagonia.gov.ar

It even has information in Welsh.

TheHague
Level Contributor
928 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Welsh interest in Puerto Madryn

I can't find a website, but the museum in Trelew is probably your best source of information.

welcomeargentina.com/paseos/…index_i.html

UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
622 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Welsh interest in Puerto Madryn

Thanks for those links - I am building a good picture now of the Welsh influence/remains in the area

I am ashamed to admit that I read that web site in English and not Welsh. My mother never spoke a word of English till she was 8 years old, but married an Irishman, and we lived in Ireland, and never taught her children Welsh!

Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Welsh interest in Puerto Madryn

Its never too late to start learning!

UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
622 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Welsh interest in Puerto Madryn

[quote]Its never too late to start learning! [/quote]

No lo se. Espanol es suficiente dificile para mi. :-)

7. Re: Welsh interest in Puerto Madryn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 27, 2010