We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on flying to Puerto Madryn /Trelew

San Francisco,
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
advice on flying to Puerto Madryn /Trelew

Hi

I am planing a trip to Patagonia, and was planning to stop at Puerto Madryn. Do you have suggesttions on best airlines/flights? and also were to book?

On Expedia I saw a flight that gets into Trelew at 8pm. Is it possible to get transportation into town at that time? Or is one just better of staying the night in Trelew?

thanks in advance.

TheHague
Level Contributor
928 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on flying to Puerto Madryn /Trelew

I flew with Aerolineas Argentinas to Trelew from BA, I had serious doubts as to the wisdom of this, given the reputation of AA for bad service and cancelling flights. These fears weren't helped by the fact that it was very difficult to book the flight online through their website - as a non-Argentinian resident I would need to wire money by bank transfer to an account in Frankfurt, Germany ! Luckily I could book and pay by credit card online through Expedia.

In the end I was very pleasantly surprised by the standard of service, the flight left on time, seemed well maintained and in general just as good as any European national carrier.

Trelew Airport is literally a runway with a small coffee bar, in the middle of nowhere. But at least it has regular connections to BA. Very few flights seem to go to Puerto Madryn from anywhere. Given how cheap taxis are in Argentina, I'd say getting a taxi from the airport to PM would be fine, no more than 1h drive.

netherlands
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on flying to Puerto Madryn /Trelew

Andes Lineas Aereas is flying three times a week between Bs As and Puerto Madryn. Can not tell you about their reliability and service.

See: http://www.andesonline.com/index_eng.php

Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on flying to Puerto Madryn /Trelew

There are several flights per day from BA to Trelew with Aerolíneas Argentinas. Flights can be reserved on their website.

Aeolineas seems to be more dependable now than in the last few years.

A shuttle service operates from the Trelew airport to Puerto Madryn and they take you right to your lodging. You can make the reservation through your hotel or hostel.

Taxis are available but they are more expensive and not as comfortable.

Andes flies BA to Madryn and back M-W-F in the early afternoon. Their service is good. It is a small company and they do not have extra jets if a problem grounds one of them.

There is also a shuttle or you can take a taxi to your hotel.

Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on flying to Puerto Madryn /Trelew

We took an early flight on Airlineas Argentina and arrived in Trelew Airport at 9AM. Rented a car at the airport and drove to Peninsula Valdes. We stopped at Puerto Piramides for a whale trip and then continue to peninsula and stayed there for two days. Amazing!!. Then we drove to Trelew and stay there one night before flying to Calafate. I would recommend to stay in Puerto Madrin instead of Trelew. It's much more convenient if you plan to go to peninsula Valdes. Puerto Madrin is a pretty town and to get to airport - 40 minutes. From Trelew is's 20 minutes but it's not a nice town and farther from Valdes.

5. Re: advice on flying to Puerto Madryn /Trelew

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 14, 2010