We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you take a public us to Punta Tombo from Trelew?

Which Puerto Madryn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
Can you take a public us to Punta Tombo from Trelew?

Hello,

My friend and I will be here in Nov. and want to go to Punta Tombo. It seems like from what I've read, once you get to the compound, you can get a tour there at the reserve. So I'm wondering if we really need to go with a "tour company", or if we can just take a public bus to the compound, and get a tour with reserve-employee?

It seems like if that is an option - it'd be much cheaper...

thanks for any comments or suggestions!

Jessica

Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you take a public us to Punta Tombo from Trelew?

You do not need a guide to visit Punta Tombo but having someone with you who knows about the animals really enhances the experiance.

The park rangers do not provide tours but if you have questions they should be able to answer them in Spanish.

Public busses to not travel to Tombo. You will need to provide your own transportation or take a tour.

However you decide visit Punta Tombo will be worth it!

California
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you take a public us to Punta Tombo from Trelew?

okay thanks. We know it will be great - just trying to figure the best way:-)

Puerto...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you take a public us to Punta Tombo from Trelew?

Hi if you're satying in Trelew I don't know and several hostels in P.Madryn do not like that you rent a car to do the trips, so ask first to be sure and you can share the car with two more travelers to save money.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you take a public us to Punta Tombo from Trelew?

Hi Jessica!

You don't need a guide to visit Punta Tombo.

This is not like penguin sites you may have visited elsewhere. It's a sizable park. It's not a compound. It's not an isolated rookery, or a sheltered cove. At the parking lot, there is a park administration building where you pay and pick up a map. Thenm you have to walk through crowds and crowds of pengins almost two miles in each direction over the network of trails. Lots of penguins hang around the walking trails, and are not afraid of people.

When we went in February, penguins dotted the campo as far as the eye could see, thousands of them! I think a guide would probably just slow you down, unless you had a yen to hear someone rattling off every trifling detail about the penguin life cycle. English-speaking guides would be at a premium anyway. We didn't need a guide and, having done it, I also would not want one.

When we visited we rented a car. It's just over an hour's drive from Trelew. (Actually, we overnighted in Puerto Madryn.) Almost all the way is paved, except for the final 15 miles, which is gravel road. You do not need a 4-wheel drive.

Along the gravel road, we passed several flocks of guanaco.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

5. Re: Can you take a public us to Punta Tombo from Trelew?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 21, 2010