We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salta area - Itinerary advice/suggestions please

Sydney
10 posts
Save Topic
Salta area - Itinerary advice/suggestions please

My parents ( late 50's) and I (late 20's) are planning a 5 weeks trip to South America. We will be spending 7 nights (6 full days) in the Salta region in late May. We will be arriving in Salta late after noon from Buenos Aires and are planning to stay the night in Salta. On day 2 we are planning to rent a car for the rest of our time in the area. We would appreciate any advice/suggestions regarding the best routes we should follow and how many nights to spend in each place.

Thank you all in advance.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salta area - Itinerary advice/suggestions please

I think this is a good itinerary...

Salta - Purmamarca in the morning. arriving there for lunch... check in the hotel and rest for siesta before doing the drive to the salt flats for sunset... you will be back for dinner.... it take 3,5 hours the whole trip.

A Short walk in Purmamarc in Los Colorados would be nice. before doing the drive to Uquia, but you should be there before 12 o´clock... Humahuaca .... in Tilcara for lunch and visiting the indian ruins and museum. Back to Salta

The counter clockwise loop Salta - Cachi

Cachi - Cafaytae

Cafayate - visiting the wineries.... the goat farm.... maybe two nights would be great.... you cna also drive to Amaicha to se e Pachamama´s Museum...

If you need any other advice do not hesitate in making questions. I will be pleased to reply.

Angie/Giena

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salta area - Itinerary advice/suggestions please

We did the same route as Giena has suggested and thought it was absolutely spectacular, we were'nt prepared for the sheer beauty of the place. If you have the time I would also visit the museo dePachamama in Amaicha del Valle as we thought it was very interesting and we were the only ones there.

www.museopachamama.com

Sydney
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Salta area - Itinerary advice/suggestions please

Thank you both so much. Really appreciate the recommendations.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salta area - Itinerary advice/suggestions please

You are very welcome!!! I am happpy to be helpful!

The whole NW is stunning!!!

You will never regret.

Anige/Giena

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salta area - Itinerary advice/suggestions please

If you have your own car, the last 50km of the drive to Cafayate (worth visiting if only for the wine) takes you through the Quebrada de las Conchas, a beautiful colored canyon with reds and oranges, with several signposted stops, some where you can take (unsigned/unmarked, follow the footsteps of those before you) hikes to see the spectacular scenery here. Don't miss "Gargantua del Diablo", "El Amphiteatro", and "Los Colorados".

Finca de las Nubes just outside of Cafayte as a great winery to have lunch looking out over the vineyard and the town in the background, accompanied by some great wine (try the Torrontés!).

6. Re: Salta area - Itinerary advice/suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 22, 2014