We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intinerary suggestions for trip to NW for 7 nights

Which Salta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Intinerary suggestions for trip to NW for 7 nights

My husband and I are scheduled to fly into Salta on March 18 for 7 nights. We will most likely rent a car. We don't plan to stay in Salta at all, as we enjoy smaller environs. We like trekking and smaller colonial towns. Any suggestions for an itinerary for 7 nights?

Thank you

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intinerary suggestions for trip to NW for 7 nights

Day one; Arrival, see the town... you will love it ....

Day two Salta - Purmamarca . drive to the salt flats in the late afternoons and back to Purmamarca

Day three , Purmamarca - Uquiq - Humahuaca - Tilcara and back to Purmamarca

Day four - Purmamarca - Salta

Day five; Salta - Cafayatae - visiti a winery, wine museum.... goat cheese farm...

Day six:... Cafaayte - Amaicha .... Cafayate ... maybe another wine tasting...

Day seven... Cafayate to Salta airport depending on the departure time.... remember leave Cafayate 5.5 hours before your flight, just in case....

Angie/Giena....

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intinerary suggestions for trip to NW for 7 nights

Thank you so much for your detailed attention to my reply . I will research the proposed itinerary !

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intinerary suggestions for trip to NW for 7 nights

Remember, March may be still rainy and I think that you have enought for the time you will be around. Forget Iruya, Cachi or San Anotnio de los Cobres if one of those places come to your mind...

Warm regards,

Angie/Giena

Ushuaia
Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intinerary suggestions for trip to NW for 7 nights

From Cafayate much more interesting than Amaicha is Cachi and you will have time to see both anyway. You can do a loop Salta - Cafayate - Cachi Salta. Purmamarca is amazing and Tilcara is very nice too and has some good hiking options close by. Humahuaca and Iruya are good places too but Iruya has a dirt road which gets complicated after rain and involves a lot of driving. Apart from the wellknown small towns, there are other small interesting villages to explore like Yavi or Casabindo. San Antonio de los Cobres isn´t a great deal, a ming town and the trip by train there is overpriced and a tourist trap.

5. Re: Intinerary suggestions for trip to NW for 7 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 13, 2014