We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on itinerary

Which Salta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Help on itinerary

Hello,

im new to this forum and planning a trip to Peru, Bolivia and stretch to Chile and Argentina in this July. per my itinerary so far, i might be taking Salar de Uyuni days tour on 7/11, my original plan was go to Chile San Pedro on the 3rd day of the tour, then go Argentina Salta and fly out from BA on 7/21

from end of Uyuni Salar tour to my fly out i have 8 days, at lease one day in San Pedro (Geysers del Tatio and Valle de La Luna?), one day bus San Pedro to Salta 10 hrs crossing Andres, one full day bus Salta to BA (if not taking a flight), the last day afteroon will be flying out, so i only have 4 and a half day for Salta and BA :(((

Is this sounds a good plan per my time frame? how do i distrubite time between Salta and BA?

do you think there would be a problem in July to cross Andres from San Pedro to Salta? or should i skip San Pedro and go Salta from Uyuni giving more time in Argentina?

well this is my first time to south america, i tend to cover north part of Chile and Argentina this time and come back next time for the south or whatever. how do i rationalize the trip and get the most out of it?

i appreciate ur advices.

Salta
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on itinerary

Uyuni to Salta via SP is fastest route anyway as the tours across Uyuni will drop you at SP (well close, the Chileans pick you up at the border.) You will need two days in SP at least - you will arrive around noon. Geysers are 4am start time. THen you need a day for valle.

SP to Salta you will cross Salinas Grandes. You could get off the bus in Purmamarca (It stops there if you want) spend a night then take a bus to Salta. One afternoon there is enough. Then a day trip to cafayate (Zillions of tour companies in Salta). The head overnight to BSAS -

saludos

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on itinerary

well, too many questions but one thing... if it snows as July is winter here... two years ago the pass was closed because of the snow. We can not make more predictions for this year but who knows.... I woudl better suggest you take a 5day tour starting in UYUNI an ending in TUPIZA, only 2 hours drive from the argentinian border. san Pedro de Atacama is much more expensive and most of the tours from SPA are in Bolivia.

Remember the pass might be closed because of snow.... it is JULY...

crossing the border fom Bolivia is not a big deal. I suggest you take a bus to Tilcara you can take a taxi (only 22kms) to Purmamarca. In Purmamarca you can take a tour to the salt flats, and enjoy the 7 colour mountiains....

tehn a ride to SALTA and do not miss a tour to Cafayate (at least four days, required) taste the wines, the cheese.... wine icecream!

Have a wonnderful time!

Angie/Giena

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on itinerary

Thanks for the reply.

saludos, do you mean from the Salar tour i would be drop at SP at noon? i did not do further research but thought it would be evening?

Angie, crossing the Andres in July is my main concern too, however i could not find info about tour start in Uyuni end in Tupiza, can you post any link?

Salta
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on itinerary

The vast majority of the tours start in Uyuni not Tupiza (if you take Tupiza tours, the only operator, they make you wait until there are enough people to fill the group) and you can cross the border AFTER your tour into SP - your tour will take you to the border, you will meet your Chilean guides and be taken to SP - arriving around noon as the final day on Uyuni starts at 4AM - It's brutal you can see my report on my blog but worth it and you will stay in a salt hotel and see pink flamingoes up close - SP is expensive but you can find some value and youre only there a day or so - do it that way.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on itinerary

sorry, without thinking i thought "saludos" is ur name as i dont know spanish :P

it make sense now the arrival at noon to SP.

i heard SP tour to Geysers del Tatio starts very early, is it posible that after that tour i still can catch the same day bus to Salta?

i understand that the salar tour start from Uyuni ending at SP, my concern is from SP to Salta, as its July, if the pass close due to snow, i will be stuck. so i thought my plan B is take a Uyuni tour not landing at SP, go back to Uyuni and go Tupiza and Argentina after. the thing is i need to determine plan A or plan B before i join the salar tour, i hope i could see some sort of weather forecast before i book the tour.

6. Re: Help on itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:32 pm, April 26, 2012
7. Re: Help on itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:43 am, June 19, 2013