We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does it make sense to visit Salta area end of December

Orlando
Level Contributor
5 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Does it make sense to visit Salta area end of December

Hi, considering spending 5 nights in Salta area. I'm concerned about it being the rainy season and driving myself. We don't have the budget to hire a driver so not sure we should go there this trip, maybe Mendoza instead? Two adults one 11 year old. Thoughts, thanks.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does it make sense to visit Salta area end of December

Sure, Salta and Jujuy provinces in the NW of Argentina have the most beautiful sceneries and of course also great food, wines, and great weather!

You need at least five days or six... at the end it will always be not enough...

If you choose the NW you will not regret.

Angie/Giena

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does it make sense to visit Salta area end of December

There's no comparison between the 2 Mendoza is interesting if you want to visit a winerie but it's nothing compared to the Salta area which we found breathtaking.

We hired a car and had no problem at all driving, the roads are very quiet so it's an easy area to drive in. You won't regret it if you decide to visit there.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does it make sense to visit Salta area end of December

I second Chrella's response to a self-drive in this gorgeous and interesting area. We were there in mid-February, 2010. At that time, the rains were more brief sprinkles that stopped in short order and never interfered with our travels or touring. Perhaps someone could speak more directly to weather conditions predicted for late December.

I suggest that you review some TRs for this area: Here is a link to mine -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312822-i7638-k345…

Trip Reports of YESTRAVEL, CRELLESTON and others are valuable to read when planning.,

Your son would surely enjoy the PENAs, Traditional Folkloric singing and playing in various restaurants & cafes in Salta and around. Some of it spontaneous and all of it, in our experience, great fun and good music...and usually good food to boot.

Happy planning.

~Marnie

Córdoba
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Does it make sense to visit Salta area end of December

Concerning Salta: the only thing which can happen during the rain season is that some unpaved roads, like the famous ruta 40 between Cafayate and Cachi, are difficult to cross (sometimes they are even closed). But as long as you stick to the paved roads, you will definitely enjoy the Northwest of Argentina. Also consider doing the Cafayate - Tafí del Valle - Tucumán drive, really interesting because the landscape changes all the time, ending in a huge jungle environment (la yunga).

Enjoy!

Jan

5. Re: Does it make sense to visit Salta area end of December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:40 am, June 19, 2013