We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very short stay in Salta

Level Contributor
98 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Very short stay in Salta

I'm going to be in Salta for two days. On day 1 I thought I'd look around the city and maybe go the cable car as my flight gets in about 11am. On day 2 I want to go on a day trip to see whatever is likely to take my breath away the most that can be done in a day trip through a tour company. Im looking for great scenery but not fussed about vineyards. Any suggestions? I know ideally I'd spend much longer in Salta but were on a tight schedule and it was a case of two days or miss Salta completely which I didn't want to do.

MTB Aventura Salta
Bike Tours, Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Nordic Travel
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, City Tours
Artay Viajes
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Very short stay in Salta

Why not take a ride on the Tren a las Nubes (Train to the Clouds)?

The tickets are a little bit pricier but it is one of the top train trips in South America if not the world. Since you're looking for sights to take your breath away, there's no better option than the Train to the Clouds. I can't suggest it enough!

Have fun,

Argentina For Less

Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very short stay in Salta

I would not reccomend the train especially as it doesnt run in rainy season. for me who has done every journey a load of times - the Quebrada de las conchas Salta to Cafayate is one of the great drives of the world and on a day trip you will get to see it in both directions - it is constantly changing.

Level Contributor
39,660 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very short stay in Salta

Salta itself is a nice town but what is worth the journey is the surrounding scenery, north to Purmamarca or South to Cafayate so imo you need at least 5 days to make the trip worthwhile. You don't say where you are coming from, will you be in the area anyway? Is that why you'll only be there for 2 days?

Level Contributor
98 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very short stay in Salta

Thanks everyone. I liked the looks of the train but have read a lot of negative reviews about the length of it and lack of comfort. I think we'll do the town itself on the day we arrive and then go on a full day excursion to cafayate on the 2nd day. Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Unfortunately limited on time as we are in iguazu just before and heading to buenos aires afterwards. Got a packed itinerary!

Level Contributor
3,583 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very short stay in Salta

IMO, I would better suggest to take a private tour to Purmamarca and Salt flats instead. If I had to choose something to see because I have a limited time, that is what I would do. If you can not afford a private tour, I suggest to take a daytour to Cafayate with a travel agency in a regular tour.

Forget the train... it is a loooooong trip and too exhausting!!!!

Have a wonderful time in the NW!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
67 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very short stay in Salta

I agree with Giena that - if you are committed to doing a day trip - Purmamarca is a more rewarding option than Cafayate. Cramming in the salt flats along with Purmamarca doesn't even seem doable, though. The salt flats are a couple hours away from Purmamarca.

Keep in mind this will be a very long day. Purmamarca is several hours away from Salta (I want to say 3 hrs at least).

7. Re: Very short stay in Salta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, February 21, 2013
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor