We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recap of our trip to Salta

Which Salta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Recap of our trip to Salta

Hello all!

Before going to Salta I read lots of comments of people traveling there and it was really helpful for us, I thought I´d share some of our travel stories.

First and foremost-dont hesitate to RENT A CAR! For us this was a really really tough decision because we thought maybe the roads would be impossible, we´d be nickel and dimed at the rental agencies, etc etc. For us, it worked out SO smooth and it´s something I would highly suggest.

We went with Hertz (possibly paid a little more) but couldn’t have been happier. They cover all damages, didn’t care the least about scratches or dents-the only thing they checked for was that the spare tire was there and in working order (which is really a benefit to the driver anyway). We rented it for 4 days and brought it back late morning of the 4th day and they even gave us money back for the 4th day because we didn’t use it the whole day!!

Having the freedom of our own care was invaluable. We were able to stop when we wanted (which happened to be every 5 minutes to take pictures), be on our own schedule, and were able to see things and places that we otherwise wouldn’t have been able to see.

Our trip was unfortunately cut short by a day because of airline cancellations (ash) but what can you do?

The drive from Salta to Purmamarca is winding, and by far the hardest roads we encountered, it´s very small and very winding but beautiful. I expected Salta to all be red clay and rock, and this was going through the lush green forest!! The roads are all paved, however, so we didn’t feel unsafe, just that we needed to take it a little slower...which was fine because it was so pretty anyway.

Staying the night in Purmamarca was one of the best decisions, simply because waking up there and watching the sun rise over the cerro de siete colores is BREATHTAKING. We stayed at “El Cardon” (you can see my review of the place) and it was excellent. We had a room on the second floor and got to watch the sun come over the mountain-it illuminated it like nothing I’ve ever seen before, really really spectacular. I would suggest just spending the hour between 9:00 am and 10:00am sitting there and watching the sun come down over it…it´s unreal.

That day we went to the Salinas Grandes which are really interesting. I haven’t seen any others before so I’m not too sure how they compare to others in the world, but it´s worth it, I thought!

That day we drove back to Salta and stayed the night. Somehow we took the wrong road out of Jujuy and ended up coming back on a highway instead of through the jungle. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because we didn’t have to come back through the windy roads at dusk, I would suggest looking into this and taking the highway back to Salta from Jujuy rather than the winding roads…that is if you are doing it at dusk/evening.

The next day we got up and the idea was to go to Cafayate via Cachi. I had read that going the route through Cachi was worth it.

Well, we didn’t make it to Cafayate because the drive was much longer than expected but it didn’t matter, the drive from Salta to Cachi is worth it. I´m not kidding when I say that when going through the parquet de cardones my 58 year old father cried it was so beautiful. The park is UNREAL, looking at a 180 degree perspective you see anything from flat, grasslands to red mountains, to snowcapped mountains, to cacti…it´s hands down one of the prettiest things I´ve ever seen.

We stayed in Cachi that night-rented a cabin, cooked out on the grill, and went back to Salta the following day.

Going into the trip I knew it would be pretty and nice but I really had no idea how nice it would be. If you have any doubts about going to Salta—Don’t! Go, easily you can spend a week, don’t think you´ll get bored…the Northwest is WELL WORTH THE TRIP!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Recap of our trip to Salta

The North of Argentina is a very nice place indeed.... I just got back from 2 weeks up in Salta, Tucuman and Jujuy with the family, its our 2nd year there during the winter and it was amazing... Ive posted a few reviews of some of the places I visited... more reviews to come later.

From Melbourne
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Recap of our trip to Salta

I'm in salta at the moment doing daily excursions and it's been awesome.id recommend the area to any one

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Recap of our trip to Salta

Do not miss Purmamarca and the SALT FLATS!!!! DO it i two dasy better than one day tour to Humahuaca!!!! You will not regret.

Angie/Giena

14. Re: Recap of our trip to Salta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 23, 2013