We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salta to Cafayette via Cachi

durham
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Salta to Cafayette via Cachi

I will be touring the area beginning April 1 and hope to make the drive from Salta To Cafayette via Cachi. Previous posts indicate the roads may not be passable in with a car - depending on weather. What is the best source to get information on road conditions before starting that part of the journey?

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salta to Cafayette via Cachi

It is still early to make a forecast but.... keep posting... If it is not raining the night before you drive and it was not raining in the mountains.... you will be ok driving... no problem.

Warm regards,

Angie/Giena

Brisbane
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salta to Cafayette via Cachi

Did the drive to Cachi from Salta for one night then return to Salta a few days ago. No problems at all in the 1.6ltr VW Gol(no not golf) 3 door sedan we have hired(this was from Budget Salta who had the best rate of the 6 rental agencies we checked downtown, $69 a day, unlimited Km's). Very dry at the moment and am currenlty in Tilcara.

I will add, don't hesitate to drive by this route to Cafayate if it remains dry it will blow your mind. Is the most memorable drive I have had in my life up until that point, only equaled yesterday by the drive from Purmamarca to Salinas Grandes. (though 7 lakes drive outside of Bariloche is pretty awesome as well). : )

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salta to Cafayette via Cachi

Thanks, Reposado, for your post. It will be hellpful for many visitors.

SALTA and JUJUY are both wonderful and the sceneries are stunning. After April the rains will stop completelly and it will not rain until November!

Warm regards,

Angie/Giena

Brisbane
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salta to Cafayette via Cachi

Quick update to my other post.

Arrived back in Salta today after 5 days driving/staying in the Northwest.

The little VW Gol proved to be a reliable and frugal companion. Put almost dead on 1000km on the odometer, total cost for fuel, $91. Considering all the low gear driving we did going up and down mountain passes, we thought this was excellent.

Miami, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Salta to Cafayette via Cachi

thank you, heading to Salta in two days. useful stuff. liz

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salta to Cafayette via Cachi

You see, Reposado, you had nothing to worry about,... Now you are in SALTA, enjoy you are at home! I had two fantastic days with incredible people. And the weather was great!!!!!!

Enjoy every single day....

Angie/Giena

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salta to Cafayette via Cachi

We've just returned from 9 days driving around the Salta and Jujuy provinces. Budget in Salta gave us the best rate, with 200km per day allowance, which we found to be enough. The weather was perfectly sunny and dry all the time, which suited our group A 3-door Chevrolet Corsa. The road from Salta to Cachi and Cafayate is gravel about 80% of the route so I'd recommend something bigger and more comfortable than we had, although a 4WD is unnecessary, even though you'll cross a couple of streams along the way. By the way, the Ford Ecosport looks like 4WD but I think it's actually 2WD. Molinos is a very pretty lunch stop about 2 hours south of Cachi.

We also drove to the Salinas Grandes (start very early as you can see the clouds covering the valleys just west of Purmamarca) and up to Iruya in our Corsa.

The drive to Iruya is very bumpy and demands concentration. 2 hours on a narrow gravel road, 4 river crossings, hairpin bends and precipitous drops! The scenery is amazing after the 4000m altitude marker but the road is also most dangerous from this point onwards, for the last 21km. The road is not wide enough for 2 cars and you will meet buses along the way but luckily the road is very quiet. The alternative is a 3-hour bus ride from Humahuaca.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salta to Cafayette via Cachi

Adventurous people!!!! I would not dare to go to Iruya, even in my special amphibius (spelling?) red clever BERLINDA, a special version of citroen Belringo... ;)... You know that you were lucky to have enough days with sun because you could have got stucked there if it would have rained...

Well-done!

Hope you can also tell us what do you think about the sceneries you saw, and maybe let other people know about the NW!

Thanks for your review!

Angie/Giena

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salta to Cafayette via Cachi

Actually, we saw a Berlingo stranded at the last river crossing, just 1km away from Iruya. A tractor was about to pull them out.

Here are some more tips while they're still fresh in my mind.

From Cafayate to Salta, route 68 is tarmac all the way and the first 40-odd km passes through some fantastic scenery with many photo stops.

From Salta to Tilcara, route 9 starts off very narrow and twisting but North of Jujuy you enter the Quebrada de Humahuaca, which is simply stunning to drive through.

Tilcara has quite narrow streets and a few are now closed off while they are being paved. Finding your hotel in Tilcara can be quite tricky so stop off at the Tourist Info when you enter the town, just after the bridge. The towns in Jujuy tend to have much narrower streets with little parking space, compared to those we visited in Salta.

Petrol - this may have been a temporary situation but there was no petrol at several stations we tried over the 9 days. We normally filled up with Super grade but if there's none left, you can also combine it with the more expensive Premium grade. Fill up where you can!

Salta
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salta to Cafayette via Cachi

The problem with petrol has been ongoing since Christmas - there was none at all in Buenos Aires for two weeks. Anywhere outside of Salta - where there are only one or two stations (or none) - when they run out they may be out for three days. With our last group we had to syphon off in Cafayate from the guys who are stockpiling in this situation.

The EcoSport has models in both two wheel and four wheel drive but the car rental agencies offer 2 wheel