We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time do I need to pass along the Rout 66 by car?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How much time do I need to pass along the Rout 66 by car?

We would like to start from the east coast and finish on the west coast. Traveling by car. And have short stops in the most interesting sightseeing (cities/ national parks etc)

3 replies to this topic
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time do I need to pass along the Rout 66 by car?

Try this website. They also have a forum there:

http://www.drivingroute66.com/

I'm guessing that you cant actually drive the whole length - that some sections may be closed....

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time do I need to pass along the Rout 66 by car?

You also can use the Road Trips forum

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

R66 starts in Chicago so not from the east coast. Please tell us more about your planned trip. How long do you have? What time of year? etc etc.

Btw, you now are on the Miami Az forum and not Miami Florida.

Tet

Edited: 11:39 am, March 27, 2012
Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
833 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time do I need to pass along the Rout 66 by car?

most of the old route 66 is today 'covered' by freeway and interstate. tehre are some interesting portion, the best, IMO, is in AZ between Sligman and Kingman, and then Kingman to Topock via Oatman, that's where you can actually drive historic 66 and pass through some town - Seligman, Peach Springs, Hackberry, Kingman in part, Oatman - which have managed to preserve a spirit of the past. Flagstaff, Winslow and Holbrook have some stuff as well.

In my opinion, since driving from Chicago acrossd the plains is a bit, well, monotonous after a while, maybe you should fly to Arizona and do the sections above - that would also allow you to see, say, the Grand Canyon.

Tell us more about the when and what and how of your trip so we can advise you in more detail.

Reply to: How much time do I need to pass along the Rout 66 by car?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted