We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying over the 90 day tourist visa

New York
Level Contributor
125 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Staying over the 90 day tourist visa

hi everyone,

I am going to be on a sabbatical next semester and I am planning on returning to the Northwest of Argentina for the entire time. I will be with my daughter who will be doing a semester of high school there. That part of the puzzle is all worked out, but I am now thinking about some of the other factors. I am wondering if we need to get visas or can we just cross the border to Bolivia or even go into Chile for a week at the mid semester break and then return to Argentina without any problems. What do you all think? Any recommendations?

I will be asking some more questions as I do some more planning of our trip. But, for now this is the most important thing to take care of soon. Thanks so much!!

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying over the 90 day tourist visa

Dear Newyorker: you can do that... crossing into Bolivia for two or three days and get back... SO you are coming back!!!!! Be careful, this area catch you for ever!!!

Hope to meet you anytime here!!!

Giena

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying over the 90 day tourist visa

You can renew the 90 days tourist visa by simply just crossing the border;having your passport stamped out of the country, then having the receiving country stamp you in. You don't need to stay for a long period of time;a few hours would suffice. After the stay then follow the same procedure going back into Argentina.

Do you have a visa for Bolivia?

New York
Level Contributor
125 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying over the 90 day tourist visa

Angie, I will definitely see you when we are there! Looking forward to spending some time together. I agree that Argentina gets in your blood! And the Northwest is definitely in our blood. My daughter is counting the weeks until our return. She cannot wait to be with her "jujeño" friends.

I am happy to hear that it is not difficult to go back and forth between Bolivia, Uruguay, Chile and Argentina. That is good news.

I don't have a visa for Bolivia. Is that necessary? I was unaware of that.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying over the 90 day tourist visa

I am not sure. I think NOT. I have seen it is easy to get in and out. Maybe I join you and get some holiday days in Bolivia. There is a tour in the south I owuld like to do one day!!! Some of my customers did as I recommended but I really want to do one day. :) Who knows...

We will meet anytime here then!!!!!!

Much love,

Giena / Angie

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying over the 90 day tourist visa

If you are aq US passport holder, then you will need a visa to enter Bolivia. You should be able to obtain the visa at the border crossing.

Be sure to check the website for the Bolivian Embassy in the States for the requirements.

They were a current US passport with at least 6 months good before expiration; yellow fever documentation;copy of bank statement or credit card statment to prove solvency;hotel reservation;4x4 photos for application and a US$135 fee in cash for the visa.

If you want to avoid paying a fee for another visa then cross into Chile which does not charge for crossing into their country at land border crossings.

New York
Level Contributor
125 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying over the 90 day tourist visa

Ricardo, Thanks for the reply. I am so surprised that all that is necessary just to go into Bolivia. It really is shocking. Bank statements, yellow fever immunizations! Wow. I will definitely check into that. The paso de Jama is a possibility to get into Chile. I have wanted to do that since they opened it up a few years ago.

How are the roads in the Fall? Are there road closings because of flooding?

thanks for any recommendations!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying over the 90 day tourist visa

Hi NewYorker,

I have not driven in the Fall in this area so I will pass this question to Giena who is the best resource of information for this area.

Have a nice trip!!!

8. Re: Staying over the 90 day tourist visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:43 am, April 10, 2011