We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Phx to San Francisco

preston
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Train travel from Phx to San Francisco

Does anyone know if you can catch train from Phoenix or Flagstaff to San Francisco? I have looked but can't find exact. Travelling by plane or car is not possible due to health related issues. Train may be only way for me and brother to see San Francisco. Thank you.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,276 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel from Phx to San Francisco

Try Amtrak.

amtrak.com

There are no trains from Phoenix; the closest station is out in a remote area. Flagstaff has an Amtrak station. Why those two cities? Tucson has an Amtrak station also. Amtrak can take you by bus to either Tucson or Flagstaff.

Amtrak also does not go into San Francisco. You have to get off in San Jose or Oakland and use local transportation (San Jose is best).

Sometimes you get odd connections with buses in Amtrak's website. For Flagstaff departure, you want Southwest Chief to LA, and Coast Starlight to San Jose. For Tucson departure, your want Sunset Limited to LA and Coast Starlight to San Jose.

You can also catch the Sunset Limited in the little town of Maricopa southwest of Phoenix; would need to taxi there.

Edited: 11:31 pm, August 11, 2012
California
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel from Phx to San Francisco

I did the reverse of this trip last year and had a wonderful time on Amtrak. I started in San Jose and ended in Maricopa. I arranged ahead of time to pick up a rental car in Maricopa so I should think you would be able to pick up a car in Phoenix area and drop it off in Maricopa for a fee. Emeryville (next door to Oakland) is the station closest to San Francisco and Amtrak has bus transportation to various spots in SF from Emeryville. Arrange the bus transportation when you buy your train ticket. Emeryville has an indoor station and is open when the trains arrive no matter what time. If you go to San Jose you arrive at night and would have to stay over and get a CalTrain commuter train the next day to San Francisco. CalTrain does not run very often, if at all, after commute time. You could arrange for a rental car in San Jose and drive to SF which is about 50 miles. If the trains are on time it is about a 20-24 hour trip so I would also suggest going first class if that fits the budget. Amtrak can be late so plan accordingly and have a good time in SF.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,073 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel from Phx to San Francisco

Two options ... At Barstow, one can change to a AMTRAK bus to Bakersfield and board the train again through the Central Valley... Or continue to LA & continue to Emeryville by rail.. carracar

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,241 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel from Phx to San Francisco

The OP is long gone. Never did respond to this thread after they posted almost a year ago.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,073 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel from Phx to San Francisco

Gosh... I hope health has improved & their yet with us... Mebbie thats why no thank yous, were posted...carracar

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel from Phx to San Francisco

For those in the future who might be interested , the costal train is FAR more scenic than the central valley train heading to San Francisco. When we took the ride along the coast we actually saw two missles take off from the mssle base! It is an amazing ride with all the wildlife and views of crashing waves, etc.

Edited: 11:38 am, June 21, 2013
7. Re: Train travel from Phx to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 23, 2014