We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Join tour group to travel South America or do it ourselves?

QYC
Airlie Beach
10 posts
Save Topic
Join tour group to travel South America or do it ourselves?

We are looking to travel around South America next Feb for 3 months. We want to do Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru and the Amazon. I have been looking at the Tucans, Jungles and Incas Tour and the Amazon and Desert Discoverer tour with Kumuka Travel. Has anyone done these tours and can give feedback on them? Also, if anyone has suggestions on whether it's better to go on a tour or do it ourselves I'd love to hear from you. I normally organise all of our travels but just not sure with South America.

Thanks!

Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Join tour group to travel South America or do it ourselves?

If you speak fluent spanish, you can likely do the entire trip on your own.

We only visited Argentina, but our personal level of comfort would extend to travelling Chile and Argentina independently, and other countries with a tour. We travelled Argentina by ourselves without incident and don't speak Spanish aside from what we picked up while travelling (2 weeks).

Córdoba
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Join tour group to travel South America or do it ourselves?

I would suggest the same as SBE_80, if yo speak a certain basic level of Spanish you can travel around easily on your own in Argentina, Chile and many more countries. It is also important to realize what period you are traveling, if you travel alone it might be more difficult to find good accommodation in high season sometimes.

Another option is to let a local travel organization plan an individual, custom made trip for you.

3. Re: Join tour group to travel South America or do it ourselves?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, October 30, 2012