We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help...place to stay, cheap but convenient..also to Brazil?

Which Puerto Iguazu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Help...place to stay, cheap but convenient..also to Brazil?

Planning to do 2 days in Iguazu in December.

Like fly in to the Argentine side on a Monday morning let's say, do Argentine side, all Tuesday to Brazilian side back to argentine side at night for hotel, Wed morning, do the argentine side again if want to, then fly back to BA....

is there a place that is not that expensive that we should stay at that is convenient to the Argentine side?

or should i look into staying on the argentine side 1st night and then staying at the brazilian side the 2nd night? then would we fly back to BA from brazilian side or from argentine side? sorry for so many questions, it's a bit confusing :)

Also, to visit the Brazilian side can you just cab it from the argentine side? approx how much and how long is the drive from argentine side to the brazilian side? does everyone buy the brazilian visa in advance?

thanks to anyone who responds!

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help...place to stay, cheap but convenient..also to Brazil?

because our time is limited, somewhere very convenient to the argentine side of the falls would be very nice...but I imagine the more convenient, the more expensive....I'd love to stay around $50/night or less, but also somewhere CLEAN - lol, doesn't have to be fancy...but CLEAN is a must :)

also, the brazilian visa I know is $131 per person, is this correct? is that the only cost to enter from the brazilian side? and the cost to enter from the argentine side is $85 i heard? is that true?! per person or group?

thank you to anyone who responds to all of these questions, I know there's a lot.....i hope 1 day to be able to return the favor!!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help...place to stay, cheap but convenient..also to Brazil?

Have a look at Tripadvisor's hotel reviews ('Puerto Iguazu, Argentina'') for "hostels"; and separately, "inns" which include B&B's. You can get a double room in some inns for around $US100/night, and for less of course in a hostel.

The cheaper accommodation (outside the pricey hotels closest to the Falls) is located in but mostly just outside the town of "Puerto Iguazu" in the 'hotel zone' along the road between it and the Argentine side of the Falls, a 15 km. drive altogether.

I've been wondering myself if staying in a different country on each of 2 nights would be viable. My conclusion is, after much reading, that it is not if you're using the cheaper accommodation. Too much precious time would be lost switching cheaper hotels in 2 countries due to these factors - the distance and taxi costs between accommodation of this type in Brazil and Argentina; the parks' opening and closing times; and hotels' late check-in times and early check-out times. Only using the very expensive hotel in each country nearest the Falls would make this doable comfortably in a non-rushed way in 2 or 3 days. Otherwise, I'd want 5 days.

Use "Google Earth' and locate on it the inns and hotels by name that interest you (from the reviews) to see what I mean.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help...place to stay, cheap but convenient..also to Brazil?

The cost of the Brazilian visa for US citizens is US140. If at all possible, this should be obtained in your home country prior to arriving in Argentina.

The visa can be obtained in Buenos Aires and Iguazu but will take away from valuable travel time to go through the process.

You can take a taxi or remise to the Brazilian side of the Falls from Argentina for around 60-80 pesos. However, you can take the local buses for far cheaper price.

There are no other charges to enter Brazil other than the cost of the visa.

US citizens are charged a reciprocity fee of $US140 when they arrive at EZE Buenos Aires airport only. There are no charges when crossing any of the borders via land or sea.

Many people like the Secret Garden B&B in Iguazu. It is quite inexpensive and very nice.

I would stay on the Argentine side of the Falls since the park is larger and there is more to do. The Brazilian side can be visited in around 4 hours.

Enjoy!!

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help...place to stay, cheap but convenient..also to Brazil?

thanks very much Ricardo and sock!

I will look into the Secret Garden!! I saw it as one of the recommended places. Just wanted to confirm it's location is very convenient to the Falls! :)

Edited: 6:42 pm, September 18, 2010
los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help...place to stay, cheap but convenient..also to Brazil?

Secret Garden is about 20kms from Iguazu....is that close enough?

Are there places similarly priced that are as nice, that are CLOSER or more convenient to the Falls? Or is 20kms certainly good enough?

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help...place to stay, cheap but convenient..also to Brazil?

Probably only doing ONE night in Iguazu...due to short on time, do you think it's worth the extra $150+ over other hotels/hostels in the area because of the convenience and location of the hotel??

Thanks to anyone who responds!

7. Re: Help...place to stay, cheap but convenient..also to Brazil?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:36 am, March 18, 2011