We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we visit the Iguazu falls?

Winchester
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Should we visit the Iguazu falls?

We are travelling to Pategonia for 2 weeks in January and cannot decide whether or not to add on a couple of days to visit the falls. The addional cost quoted is £500 to include flights from Buenos Aires and 2 nights hotel. Are the falls worth visiting?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we visit the Iguazu falls?

IMHO, yes, without hesitation.

Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we visit the Iguazu falls?

Dear Caroline,

I have the same dilemma for my trip in Jan. Does anyone know if the falls have been running lately? Is the boat trip worth it - or should we just visit the falls on our own (as some TA members recommend)?

Hucky

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
989 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we visit the Iguazu falls?

Absolutely without a doubt worth visiting. If Iguazu doesn't impress you, nothing will!

Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we visit the Iguazu falls?

Thank you, Tango Taxi. I guess I'll keep it in my itinerary. Do you think a guide or the tourist package trips are really necessary?

Hucky

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
989 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we visit the Iguazu falls?

No guide is necessary unless you really are averse to organising yourself on holiday.

If you stay in Puerto Iguazu town, there are good regular bus services to the parks or any hotel can get you a cab, from which point it is self-explanatory. They give you maps and information. There are tours every so often but it is nice to meander about on your own. If you want to take the boat tours, all you have to do is go and book them.

Both parks are excellent in my opinion and if at all possible you should visit both sides. Some nationalities, eg USA, require a visa to enter Brazil, but this is where it IS worth hiring a guide as according to some posts (run a search on this forum) they can drive you through the checkpoint without having your passport controlled. It is illegal and it is a risk and I am not condoning it... but it's an option!!

The OP doesn't need a visa with a UK Passport.

Take clothing that dries out quickly, like beach clothing. You will get wet and you won't want to be slopping about in wet denim or canvass.

Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we visit the Iguazu falls?

Thank you again, Tango Taxi. I am planning on doing the Panoramic Hotel (rather than the more costly Sheraton) - but will only have only one full day at the falls.

Portland
Level Contributor
724 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we visit the Iguazu falls?

Without hesitation the falls are worth a visit. Both sides are amazing (Brazil and Argentina), but if you only have one day, stick to the Argentine side and don't miss the zodiacs.

Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we visit the Iguazu falls?

Does only one tour company offer the zodiac rides? (this is the ride under the falls - correct?)

I'm assuming you can schedule this at the hotel?

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we visit the Iguazu falls?

Hucky

You can book the zodiac ride in the park or at certain hotels, such as the Sheraton. And, yes, there is only one company that offers the rides.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we visit the Iguazu falls?

wow £500 seems a bit too much. Have you tried the low cost airlines in south america? Try TAM and LAN, there is another one but I can't remember the name. And you can stay at the sheraton inside the park. Iguaçu town has not much to see, so if you just want to visit the falls 2 nights at the sheraton will be sufficient.

Helena