We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Puerto Iguazu

Beware of fake jewels & tour group

San Francisco
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
Beware of fake jewels & tour group
Save

My friends and I booked a tour in BA through Trip Planner-Travel Agent: Lic. Noelia Delpech

PARTIR VIAJES E.V.T.

PHONE: (0054) 11 4515 1888

ADRESS: Cordoba 679, 1er piso

Ciudad de Buenos Aires C1054AAF

noelia@partirviajes.com.ar

We visited mid November.

The tour guide they booked for us for the Iguazu trip took us to a nice, large souvenir shop that also sold jewelry and loose stones. Turns out the stones we bought were synthetic and worthless after a jeweler in San Francisco analyzed them and even had their jeweler friends from Brazil analyze them.

The two stores I have purchases from the days of my trip in Iguazu are AKIABARA C AUT BS AS CAP FED or RAICES PRTO IGUAZU MISIONES. Either one could be the souvenir shop. Beware and don't buy jewelry there!

Derby, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
50 reviews
185 helpful votes
1. Re: Beware of fake jewels & tour group
Save

If you have ever traveled to Mexico (Cancun, Cozumel, Tijuana, Acapulco) you run into the same thing. Large gift stores with a big jewelry departments. My wife and I stick to inexpensive stuff that she likes the appearance of. Usually it is local artisan stuff. We always shy away from great deals on precious and semi-precious gems because even with the "discount" they are still expensive and you just have no idea of the quality or if they are what they say they are. Many cruise ships and staff get kickbacks from directing tourists to big gift shoppes. On one cruise we had a coupon for a free semi-precious stone. Of course to have it set into jewelry was expensive. In Honduras (Roatan Island) we

left the offical beach and walked into the public beach area where a bunch of local people had set up some stands. The stuff looked great and was cheap and it used local materials. Very cool. As always anywhere in the world let the buyer beware and if it looks too good to be true it usually is.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Beware of fake jewels & tour group
Save

Since I cannot edit my former posting, I wanted to report that the tour company and contact, Noelia Delpech, that I listed above has been helping us and responded promptly to our concerns.

To be clear, it was not Noelia that took us on the tour in Iguazu. She set up our hotel and flight accommodations which went smoothly. It was the tour guide to Iguazu/Argentina side that steered us in the wrong direction to buy synthetic stones.

3. Re: Beware of fake jewels & tour group

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, August 18, 2009