We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clear Immigration/Customs in MDZ or BA?

Venice, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Clear Immigration/Customs in MDZ or BA?

Hello everyone. Could use some guidance from the experts on this board. Here's my situation: I already have a flight booked from EZE back to the US on Delta. I'm in Mendoza and am shopping for my plane ticket to BA to make this connection. My question is this: If I book my flight on Aerolineas (part of SkyTeam, as is Delta) into EZE, can I clear immigration and customs in MDZ and NOT have to check in all over again in BA, or do I have to collect my luggage and start the process over again? When I've flown from Arg to US through Chile, I didn't have to do anything at SCL, but I also flew on LAN.

I'd love to have more time in MDZ, rather than flying into AEP and then trekking across BA to get to EZE. Would love to know if others have done this. Thanks so much!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clear Immigration/Customs in MDZ or BA?

If you go through immigration, you must leave the country. You are suggesting you then fly on to AEP, and wander about BA, while all the time officially out of the country!

Presumbaly you were in transit at SCL and didn't leave the transit area of the airport? You didn't wander around Santiago, so didn't need to go through immigration into Chile.

How much time would checking in at MDZ save you - an hour?

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
474 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clear Immigration/Customs in MDZ or BA?

I have NOT tried to do this, but it seems clear you would have to clear Immigration at EZE before your outbound international flight from EZE. You cannot, I believe, pre-clear immigration for a later intl flight on a purely domestic flight.

You did not have to do anything in SCL because you never left the international transfer area (saving yourself the Chile reciprocity fee as you did not have to go thru Chile immigration).

However, if you fly into EZE, I am sure you could book your bags thru EZE from Mendoza (of course, you cannot do this if you fly Mendoza to AEP and then fly out thru EZE). They do not check your outbound bags except when they go thru security screening, which is done in Mendoza anyway.

Venice, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Clear Immigration/Customs in MDZ or BA?

Thanks for the replies. To clarify, as I said above, I'd be flying into EZE from MDZ. Aerolineas has flights into EZE now. I am not suggesting at all that I'd be able to wander about BA while being "out of the country." I would prefer to avoid AEP if possible.

In my experience, it's the line for the bags that is the time consuming part, so if I can check all the way through to the US from MDZ, do you think I'll be fine with 2.5 hours in EZE between domestic from MDZ and international to the US?

Venice, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Clear Immigration/Customs in MDZ or BA?

@peterscot, to answer your last question, it would save me not that much time, necessarily but the trouble of being at AEP by myself, with more bags than I can carry myself, and the time and cost of having to hire a remis to EZE.

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
474 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clear Immigration/Customs in MDZ or BA?

The problem is not so much the 2.5 hours to make it from AEP to EZE, (unless they have one of their semi-regular crises in the streets of BA), the biggest problem is the probable delay (or possible cancellation) of the flight from Mendoza to BA. Most Aerolineas flights are delayed to some extent. I would also recommend a substantial connection time even if going direct to EZE from Mendoza.

Also, best to leave at least two hours (recommended 3 hours) to check in, and go through immigration and controls at EZE.

I would suggest about 7 hours connection time thru AEP (you can always go to a restaurant of cafe in BA if you arrive at AEP early), 4-5 hours if going direct to EZE.

2.5 hours to pick up baggage at AEP, travel thru BA to EZE, and go through immigration/control at EZE? No way, even if there is no flight delay from MDZ.

Edited: 5:30 pm, January 18, 2013
Venice, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Clear Immigration/Customs in MDZ or BA?

Thank you! I don't like your answer, but I know it's the right one! :) I have enough experience with AA (with no connections at stake) to know they are are not timely. I guess I just needed someone else to talk some sense to me!

Thank you!

7. Re: Clear Immigration/Customs in MDZ or BA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 20, 2014