We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mendoza Language School

Santiago, Chile
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mendoza Language School

I found a link, www.ailolalatino.com that has a language school in Mendoza. Does anyone know about this school and is it any good.

I'm living in Santiago, but I'm thinking of moving to Mendoza because it's cheaper. But I need a knew language school

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mendoza Language School

The website is just one of dozens of language webagent sites that advertise and book for various independent schools.

I know, I have worked as an English teacher at many of the schools (including the one referred to in the link), many of which use dozens of such webagents to find clients.. Notice they do not give the location or contact detariend wrote ils of "their" school. The webagents know nothing of the school.

Here is what a friend accurately wrote on another site:

"As with many cities in Argentina, there is a variety of Spanish courses and private lessons are available. There are two established language schools in Mendoza: Intercultural [11] is the biggest, has a range of afternoon activities, and is slightly more expensive, Greenfields [12] (aka COINED) is smaller and feels even less well organised, but many of the teachers work at both schools.

Another great option for individual or very small tailor-made quality group lessons with a highly trained instructor: Spanish in Mendoza, Argentina (SIMA) [13]. This is a better option for those seriously interested in learning or improving their Spanish, although the classes are very enjoyable."

Basically, at the larger schools there are some good teachers, but some stinkers as well. Some of the teachers at the larger places such as ECELA (often spammed) are not teachers at all (some of them have been English students of mine). Again, I do not recommend any particular teachers as most of them are also English teachers (like me) and friends of mine.

Another friend of mine, also an English teacher (from Canada), wrote this list of websites for the various schools on the local couchsurfers site:

" Links to Spanish schools and instructors in Mendoza:

Intercultural (aka ArgentinaSpanish, aka Patagonia)

Greenfields (aka COINED, aka Andino, aka DonQuixote, aka Cactus, aka languagecourse.net, aka Enforex)

ECELA (Chilean chain with branch here)

Intercultural (aka ArgentinaSpanish, aka Patagonia, aka Spanishcourses)

Spanish in Mendoza Argentina (aka SIMA, aka Ana María Troncoso, new website), more personalized one-on-one or two-on-one lessons

spanishinmendozaargentina.greenash.net.au/ "

There is also Brazilia, which specializes in Portuguese classes, Spanish instruction but also has Spanish instruction:

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
474 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mendoza Language School

Good advice. I also worked at the school advertised in the link. Be careful.

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
474 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mendoza Language School

Check this link for some reliable info, comments, and more transparent references for various language schools and instructions in Mendoza:

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mendoza Language School

Recently, I completed a two-week Spanish course in Mendoza with Ana Maria Troncoso. I feel that Ana is an excellent professor, and that I learned as much as I possibly could in two weeks. We (my father and I) are complete beginners, and after two weeks we can comfortably navigate many common scenarios in our ongoing travels. Ana is very patient, precise, and professional. Classes take place indoors or in the garden. We also did some fun activities like cooking classes, touring the city, and attending exchange events with other language students in Mendoza. To be clear, she is not your tour guide, but she is able to help you get your feet wet. I believe it was the perfect balance. With Ana's help, I was able to succeed in Spanish more than I thought I ever could.

Her site:

5. Re: Mendoza Language School

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 24, 2014