We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
car rental

We are going to Chile and Argentina in September for our honeymoon. We were hoping to rent a car from Mendoza and drive to Santiago where we would deposit the car. We cant find a company that does one way hires between these two locations. Can anyone help. Or does anyone have any other suggestions of how to cross the Andes?

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

I am an Amazing Race Fan and in one of their previous races they had teams drive cars from Santiago to Mendoza (the opposite of what you are planning). The scenes of the route were spectacular so I agree it would be quite the picturesque adventure. That being said I would assume the bus loving Argentines have busses running from Mendoza to Santiago. Some of the large coche cama buses are quite nice and if you can score the front top seats the view would be astounding. That would be the option I would persue first I doubt you will find a rental car company that will meet your needs. Another option maybe to find a private tour company that will ferry a small group or just you two in a jitney or whatever. Or better yet hire a driver and a remis. That is, hire a private car to take you over the Andes. Cheaper than you think. You would have more control there and could have the driver stop for pictures, etc. Your net cost will probably be close to what you would pay for the rental car anyway. Good luck.

seattle wa
Level Contributor
27 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

A few realities about taking rental cars across the border of Chile and Argentina:

We just returned from these two countries and rented a car in Pureto Montt, Chile, crossed into Argentina to visit Bariloche (highly recommended) and back again to visit Vina del Mar and then return the car in Santiago. We found a good weekly rate at Alamo (through SideStep, $200 per week plus taxes and insurance)and the car was totally acceptable and reliable. There are, however, several additional fees that one must pay.

A different destination drop off charge seems to run $330 no matter who you rent with. A permission to go from Chile to Argentina from the rental car agency is another $220. Insurance for the trip to Argentina is another $35.70.

Now here is the important thing we learned: to get the permission and insurance in Santiago would have been no big deal - 36 hours wait for the permission and we could have bought the insurance at the border. HOWEVER, trying to do these same things from an outpost like Pureto Montt took 4 full days for the permit and about 2 hours of hassle and lines to get the insurnace. PLUS, if our hitchhiker hadn't been fluent in Spanish and good in English (he was from Spain) I don't think we could have figured out what we needed to do or where to go to get it done.

All told, it was good to have a car. When we compared the car fees to plane fare for 3 people to get where we wanted to go, we decided it was worth it.

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

$200 dollar a week is a great rate especially through an international agency. One thought. How would it work if you rented a car in chile for your chile leg of the trip. Take a bus to Mendoza or Cordoba Argentina. And rent a car there for the Argentina leg? Lot of switching around I know but I wonder if the overall cost and time committment would be less? I have rented cars in Argentina and I believe they are generally far more expensive than $200 a week if you want a mid-sized car for large sized people like me.

Get answers to your questions about Province of Mendoza