We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer in carilo?

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
611 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
summer in carilo?

Hi, hope this post doesn't turn out to be too long but would really appreciate any help from locals on this one!

We're a young Irish family who are hoping to spend most of 2009 in Argentina. I'll be on maternity leave - baby will be almost 3 months old when we arrive and we have a three year old son - and my husband is taking leave from work. Our rough plan is to spend the summer at the coast - roughly from end of Feb to mid May - and then winter in Mendoza - from May til November. We plan to live off my maternity pay and also the balance left over after renting out our house here and paying the mortgage. (We would prefer not to dip into savings but will if need be.)

Anyway, question: would Carilo be a realistic place to spend the summer for us - or would it just be too expensive? And because it's peak season would a landlord bother doing a 'deal' for us on accommodation - or will it be so busy that they won't have to?

We spent a week in a hotel in Pinamar last February and liked it very much - but is Carilo even more upmarket and therefore unaffordable?

And at the other end of the year, will Mendoza also be too expensive because of the skiing season??

All assistance on this gratefully received,

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Carilo
Carilo
Province of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Bariloche
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: summer in carilo?

Ok, let me explain... Pinamar and Carilo are the most expensive beaches in Buenos Aires. During the summer season they are almost unffordable to us (argentinian people), but after the second week of February the prices are half (or sometimes less). Pinamar and Carilo (and Cariló is even worst sometimes) are "dead" during the year. Maybe you can stay up to April, but after that because of the weather not lot of people go there. You can find lots of houses to rent out of season in Pinamar. Once I rented with all my family this house and it was great, but it might be a little too big for you: www.micasaenpinamar.com.ar

About Mendoza, I only can tell you that it's not that expensive if you stay in the city..

Good Luck!!

Mentioned in this post
Carilo
Carilo
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: summer in carilo?

I think Cariló is a realistic place to stay, yes. It is similar to Pinamar, but not so many buildings and people. It is more relaxed, good to go with a baby. I think the beaches are more beautiful, and there are many trees everywhere which also makes it very nice. Then, I don't think it's more expensive than Pinamar. If it is, it's not much more, no. Have fun!

Mendoza is a big city and there are things for everyone. So I am sure that you can find something cheap-

3. Re: summer in carilo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:53 pm, September 03, 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: summer in carilo?

Hello,

I had a general question about Carilo and Pinamar. I stayed in Carilo with family friends about 5-6 years ago and wanted to return. But, for someone who likes the beach, likes going out and also wants to relax...do you think that Pinamar is a better selection than Carilo?

I remember thinking Carilo was a little quite for me...if Pinamar is the smarter option, what area is close enough to where I do not need to drive, I do not mind walking up to 20-30 minutes for restaurants or beach.

Would it make sense to rent a car and drive from BA, or just take the bus and use taxi while I am there?

I am actually planning for a full month next summer between December and January...and planning ahead already!

Mentioned in this post
Carilo
Carilo
Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: summer in carilo?

Carilo is indeed quiet but that is its appeal. Upscale, private and quiet. You are somewhat limited to the shops and restaurants available there but for most they are adequate. I think it is very expensive for an Argentine destination but then again that is how you keep out the riff raff like me.

I prefer Mar del Plata but then again I am a nut for lots of options in things to do and see, places to eat and shop and in general experience a flood of new experiences. Pinamar, Villa Gessel, Miramar, Nechocea and Monte Hermoso among others are less frenzied and urban than Mar del.

A bus from BA is cheap and comfortable. If you choose Mar del you will not need a car. They have taxes and buses and remises galore. The other destinations also have public transportation but they are generally small enough that walking or an occasional taxi is enough.

Mendoza does get pricey during their winter. Certainly not as bad as Bariloche.

Mentioned in this post
Carilo
Carilo
Miramar
Miramar
Monte Hermoso
Monte Hermoso
buenos aires
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: summer in carilo?

I agree with the latter post. I stayed in Carilo in December, very nice but boring and you need a car. It bugs me to have to get the car out to buy a morning paper before breakfast, or if you run out of milk.

I much prefer Mardel with its wide choices of activities, much cheaper accomodation, available services like doctors etc

I know Michelle and her family, who settled there a few years ago from London and who posts on this site, rents out apartments, can arrange babysitters, tell you where to find things etc, if you are interested you could email her.

If you see my daughter who lives in Longford teaching special needs kids, say hello to her from me!

Mentioned in this post
Carilo
Carilo
Rosario, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
792 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: summer in carilo?

Hi enic,

Pinamar and Cariló are very close.

Between them you have other options like Ostende and Valeria del Mar.

Speaking of prices, both Pinamar & Cariló are just the same. The northern part of Pinamar is a nice area to spend your summer (more quiet).

And summer after january is not so busy.

Mentioned in this post
Ostende
Ostende
Pinamar, Argentina
8. Re: summer in carilo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, October 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Pinamar