We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pilar to Buenos Aires?

Which Pilar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cambridge, MA
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pilar to Buenos Aires?

Hello,

We are traveling to Buenos Aires from Boston and staying at the Sheraton Pilar (family member works for Starwood and we are getting a cheap rate)..I know that Buenos Aires is a good 45 minute drive from Pilar, but does anyone know if there are buses or other public transportation to bring us to Buenos Aires? I know we can take a taxi but I'm assuming that it will be rather expensive to go back and forth. Thoughts?

Thank you

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pilar to Buenos Aires?

Although I do not know the specifics, there have to be plenty of buses taking various routes between Pilar and BA; Pilar is a major suburb.

There are also scheduled vans that go directly, with few stops, between the center of BA and Pilar, and they are reasonably priced. I took one of these mini-vans to and from a lunch in a friend's home in Pilar (he happened to live in one of the communities where the van stopped), and it was right on time and very comfortable.

The concierge at the Sheraton should be able to explain your specific options to you by phone or email before you arrive.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pilar to Buenos Aires?

I think that the Linea Belgrano Train Norte goes between Pilar and Retiro train station in BA. However, I have never taken it nor have their schedule.

I think that the train takes about 1hr20min for the one way trip.

You should reconsider your stay in Pilar because of the distance both with the train and buses and cost of taxi. You should consider staying at the Sheraton Libertador(Microcenter) which has good rates located in the downtown. If you can get a good rate at the Sheraton on San Martin,then even better.

You are flying a long way to Argentina, then you are handicapping your sightseeing with staying in Pilar.

IMHO.

Good Luck!!

BA
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pilar to Buenos Aires?

As Punta Lugano stated, the hotel could provide you with more info about those mini-vans, as they are private services. Regarding public transportation, there is a bus, called Pilar Express, formerly line 57, which goes from Pilar to Plaza Italia, in Palermo, providing a good service at a very reasonable price. It takes about 1.10 hours.

As a tourist, I would forget about the train. The one Ricardo mentioned, the Belgrano Norte, departs not from Pilar but from Villa Rosa, about 5-8 km away from your hotel, so you would need a cab to the train station. Plus, the train is barely decent, an it takes over 1.30 hr to Retiro Station.

There is a train departing from Pilar Station, the San Martín line, but I would avoid it for being dirty, unreliable, and UNSAFE. I do not feel comfortable riding it.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Pilar to Buenos Aires?

I'm sure the hotel has vans that can bring you into town and take you!! have fun!!

5. Re: Pilar to Buenos Aires?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, October 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Pilar
Recent Conversations