We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buenos Aires side trips?

St. Louis
5 posts
Save Topic
Buenos Aires side trips?

My husband and I will be in BA December 8 - 22 and are looking for a couple side trips to take while we are there. We will do Colonia for sure...but would like a beach town as well to spend a day or two. We are both 29 and pretty free spirited. We want beach, good food, good people watching, and great bars! Any suggestions? Would like to keep it within a 4-6 hour bus ride (or shorter).

Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Buenos Aires side trips?

Hi, I'm also in BA during Dec with my boyfriend, we would like to go to the beach but are wondering if Punta del Este would be busy enough, is there sufficinet nightlife. Also, has anyone any recommendations for something to do on Christmas Day/New Year's Eve in Punta del Este and/or Mar Del Plata (as that is our other option!). Thanks..

Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Buenos Aires side trips?

Hi, I'm also in BA during Dec with my boyfriend, we would like to go to the beach but are wondering if Punta del Este would be busy enough, is there sufficinet nightlife. Also, has anyone any recommendations for something to do on Christmas Day/New Year's Eve in Punta del Este and/or Mar Del Plata (as that is our other option!). Thanks..

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
385 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Buenos Aires side trips?

Yes, Punta del Este will be busy enough, and with lot of nightlife in Christmas an New Year's Eve.

Have you already made hotel reservations? I think it's all booked already, specially in La Barra where the night life is great.

Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Buenos Aires side trips?

Hi, oh dear, not so good, just looked and most hotels do seem booked. So I think it will have to be Mar del Plata instead, anyone any ideas for good hotels? Also, any recommendations for Christmas Day and New Years Eve there? Dont want to end up sitting looking at one another wondering where we should go! Thanks.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Buenos Aires side trips?

I spent NYE 2004 in Buenos Aires and was EXTREMELY Dissappointed.. I think all the well-off Party People ditch the city for the holidays and what's left is just a skeleton of tourists and working class Buenos Aires Residents..

it was seriously sleepy.. I wish i'd made my arrangements to get out of that city.. by the time I figured it out, the buquebus and flights to uruguay (where I wanted to go) were full..

and of course my hotel didn't help me at all. they wanted me to stay and keep payin US$340 a night for a crappy room..

all in all.. the party scene in Buenos Aires was pretty weak.. considering all the hoopla I heard from Argentines while I lived in Ipanema for a year in 2002..

Brazil knows how to party.. Argentina doesn't.. no doubt.. ditch Argentina for NYE.. or you'll never forgive yourself..

go to Brasil if Uruguay is all booked.. I'll be staying in Jose Ignacio this NYE.. if you make it to uruguay.. we should get together for a drink.. a double date if you will.. my gf and I love the Auzzies!

chicago illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Buenos Aires side trips?

I highly recommend flying to Iguazu Falls. You can do the trip in two days, flights on LAN are pretty cheap and if you don't stay in the park the town of Puerto Iguazu is close by and has great restaurants and bars and many of the hotels have pools. The falls were breathtaking and a highlight of our trip. Our friends went to Punta del Este and said it was really really young, expensive and since they couldn't find a place to stay had to rent a house up in the hills. A few friends tried to get flights to join us in Iguazu from Punta becuase they got tired of "the scene" pretty quickly. My wife and I have partied all over the world ( just got back from Shanghai) but if you get a chance to see something like the falls-go for it. As for Colonia, it is a nice interesting town. We did it in half a day including lunch and that was plenty.

London, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Buenos Aires side trips?

To saintba,I am adding a bathroom to my house in Punta del Este,I was wondering if you could please help me by recommending an architect there.Many thanks

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Buenos Aires side trips?

bextravels, Punta will be very busy at that time of the year. So busy I doubt you can find a hotel at this point!! Why don't you go to Patagonia? Bariloche should be a lot of fun then and nice weather, good parties, etc. Mardel is another choice, but I would go South!!

19. Re: Buenos Aires side trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 23, 2009