We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Madryn... What to do?

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Madryn... What to do?

We are returning to Argentina for the second year in a row. We have taken the same place as last year in BsAs. We would like to plan at least two "excursions" (last year we did Iguazu, and skipped Mendoza because we had a health issue and BsAs was just too much fun).

I have read some snippets of information about Puerto Madryn and it sounds interesting, but there seems to be very little info on this destination. If we fly from AEP, do we book a flight to Trelew?

Is there enough to do in Puerto Madryn for a couple of days? It's my experience that after you've seen a few whales and penquins, what else is there to do. Any views on restaurants and accommodations? Do we hire a driver to take us around? Anything to do in Trelew?

This Forum has so many great ideas, I look forward to any response. See you in November-December.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
319 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Madryn... What to do?

You fly from Jorge Newbery Airpark (AEP) in Buenos Aires to Trelew Airport. Puerto Madryn is a popular town for vacationing Argentinians in December-February and there are plenty of hotels, including a couple of really good hotels on the sea front facing directly onto the flat and sandy beach. There are also some excellent restaurants. The Valdes Peninsula nearby is wild and great if you like open spaces and nature, but reading your post I get the sense that you are not that interested, so maybe that's not for you.

Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Madryn... What to do?

Au contraire. The nature aspect does interest me. What's to do besides penguins and whales? Are there guided tours (private or public)? Is it a trip worth one or two nights?

What's the travel between Trelew and PM? Private car, cab or bus. Is a rental car a possibility?

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
803 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Madryn... What to do?

I think car rental is a definite possibility to get out by yourself to the Valdes peninsula. You will obviously want to go out on a Zodiacs to see the whales.

We quite liked Puerto Madryn - we had an apartment but had a beer every day by the beach. There is also Gaiman, the Welsh village, to visit but we were seriously underwhelmed by this place, particularly because it was raining when we arrived.

I have almost talked myself out of suggesting that you go there. Have you tried Salta, Cafayate, and the North West. We would not go back to Puerto Madryn but we would go back to the North West

London
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Madryn... What to do?

Puerto Madryn and Peninsula Valdes is the best place I have visited for whale watching and that is the main reason to consider going there. It is a pleasant enough town with some decent restaurants etc. But not a lot else going on. I suppose you could rent a car but with just a few days I think you would be better off getting a day tour out to the Peninsula which includes a boat trip out into the bay. You will get really close to the whales. We also saw a lot of penguins and a few elephant seals.

Another nice trip is to get a taxi out to the beaches outside of town at sunset when the whales come in really close to the beaches. They also come in close to the pier in the town around lunchtime.

Some photos and more info on our blog

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

I would say it is worth a couple of nights stay. NB if you are in Argentina in. Nov-DEc , I would visit sooner during your stay for better sightings as the whales leave the area at the beginning of Dec.

5. Re: Puerto Madryn... What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 07, 2015