We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best exchange rate

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ascot, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best exchange rate

Hi All, I'm travelling to Buenos Aires and Iguazu for 8 days in total in May. Pease can someone advise me which way I will likely be better off out of the following:

1) Change pounds into pesos with HSBC in England

2) Do two exchanges: Change pounds into dollars with HSBC in England and then find a blue rate cambio in Buenos Aires to exchange the dollars into pesos

If it is the latter, can anyone recommend a safe blue rate cambio in the Palermo area?

Thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
276 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best exchange rate

Hi Sarah,

I'd strongly recommend changing pounds to $s in the UK and then changing $s to Pesos in BA. You'll be better off by 20-30%. There aren't many exchange houses in Palermo, most of them are along Calle Florida in Retiro. I have written a short note on our experiences at exchanging dollars into pesos, am attaching it here for your perusal. Answers your question in further detail. Enjoy. Argentina is very beautiful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294266-i977-k7275…

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best exchange rate

Your best option is to get US$ before you leave UK. Once you are in BA, check with your hotel’s concierge or any other member of the staff where to go in order to exchange currency at the blue rate. Bring US$ 100 bills in good shape and you’ll get the best rate for them. I’ve been told smaller bills such as 20s, 10s and 5s are worth 2% less. You can also go to Florida street downtown and see if you can exchange your money there. If you take this last option, change small amounts each time and be very cautious.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best exchange rate

Just returned from Argentina and totally agree with above posts. There are plenty of people offering to change money at a good rate, particularly in Calle Florida, never found anyone in Palermo. We were able to change US$20 bills and larger, but no one would take smaller denominations. Have fun!

4. Re: Best exchange rate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 06, 2015