We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Telmo Market

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
Save Topic
San Telmo Market

I will be in Buenos Aires for 5 days next month. As one of these days is a sunday, I have been told that the San Telmo market is worth a visit. Do you agree?

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: San Telmo Market

Here is a photo of the woman, I believe. Look for hotel detective's April 3 photos. http://tinyurl.com/f7hjj

I went to both fairs in the same day. It is no problem to take a taxi and do both. Let us know what you think.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: San Telmo Market

I toured Debra (DTinPDX) to both fairs on the same day and I feel that even though Mataderos is much more local and authentic, it can't even hold a candle to San Telmo, particularly from a tourist's point of view.

My vote: spend the whole day in San Telmo. It's extremely touristy, but great fun.

Use the search feature under the green bar to find many threads about it. I remember a recent one started by OC resident coastin, which was pretty good. It was even written in English, instead of in his normal OC dialect!!!! Before that, there was a great report by forum member and famous dog lover DTinPDX.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,644 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: San Telmo Market

I disagree with my learned though aging colleague AV.

I found the crafts and the entertainment far superior at the Mataderos fair. San Telmo featured many new "antiques" and the same sort of trinkets available at similar flea markets elsewhere. The crafts at Mataderos were hand made and distinctive (with a sprinkling of the touristy stuff), and the dancing and music were more fun and entertaining than was the norm in San Telmo.

There was a thread sometime back in June about both fairs...my suggestion is to take them both in and decide for yourself--different strokes for different follks, as I say.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: San Telmo Market

It's a matter of taste, I guess, Doc.

BTW: "follks". New Lone Star State spelling??? LOL!!!

Remember your memo to self: "Do not irritate AV"? Aging!!!!!!

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: San Telmo Market

If you want to see both San Telmo and mataderos you can take bus 126 that stops at the corner of bolivar and carlos calvo streets.

This bus will leave a few steps from the mataderos Fair.

The whole trip takes about an hour ( probably a bit less on a Sunday) on you way to Mataderos you will see several different districts:San Cristobal, Boedo, Caballito, Flores, Floresta , Parque Avellaneda and Mataderos.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,644 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: San Telmo Market

Or, if you are lazy like me, just grab a cab. Total cost should be about U$6 from one fair to another and the time in transit is cut to about 20 minutes on a Sunday.

England
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: San Telmo Market

If doing both in one day which one first and what sort of time do they get going, a lot of Sunday markets I have experienced have been morning only. More importantly where to stop for lunch......

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: San Telmo Market

I would start in San Telmo at around 10 or 10.30 AM.

You could take the bus ( or taxi ) to Matadros at around 1PM. You can ( and must ) have lunch in Mataderos , there are lots of stands with regional food like empanadas, humitas,tamales and also parrilla.

Mataderos is full of activity till dark

Chicago
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: San Telmo Market

Do go to San Telmo! it's funky, it's great! the best time to go is at noon, IMO. Enjoy it. It's a lot of fun.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,644 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: San Telmo Market

I agree with Buenos Aires expert--go to San Telmo in the morning and spend the afternoon at Mataderos, where you should definitely plan to have lunch...The regional empanadas, locro stew and other favorites from the country are outstanding and inexpensive. Save room for the ice cream or handmade candies.

There are a number of parrillas in both places, but I have tried both and prefer the emanadas and locro.....