We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get around with a toddler? Is taxi safe?

Piracicaba, SP
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
How to get around with a toddler? Is taxi safe?

Hi everyone!

I'm planning a family trip (I, my husband and 2.5 year old toddler) to Buenos Aires in February. We're staying in BA for three days and will fly to El Calafate and Ushuaia.

What would be the best way to get around in BA? (Especially with a toddler)

I was thinking about using taxi and Hop On Hop Off bus but heard a lot of terrible things about BA taxis. Mostly ripping off but a few scary cases like robbery. We don't speak Spanish(we speak English and little bit of Portuguese.) and I guess it would make us an easy target in addition to that we're travelling with a kid.

Am I going too far?

Would we be better off to hire a private transportation? If so, could you recommend a reliable agency please?

Oh, I have same question for El Calafate and Ushuaia: how to get around. I know this is BA forum but if by any chance you have any advice for those cities, it'll be much appreciated.

Thank you very much for any input.

Colonia Express
Ferries, Taxis & Shuttles
Taxi Premium
Taxis & Shuttles
Centralbuzios
Taxis & Shuttles, Bus Transportation
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get around with a toddler? Is taxi safe?

You can telephone for a radio taxi to pick you up at accomodations or restaurants. We have used Premiere Radio Taxi. They are quite reliable and safe Your hotel can call for a radio taxi for you or ask in a restaurant to call for a radio taxi.

Radio Taxi's from various companies can be hailed from the street,also. I have had no problems in Buenos Aires with a taxi. Be sure that the meter is turned on when the car starts.

Also, be sure to write down the cross streets on a piece of paper to give to the driver of your destinations since the drivers like the cross streets versus the exact address and the Spanish pronunciation can be misunderstood.

Also, make sure that you are carrying small currency notes to pay for your taxi fare. The drivers do not like large bills and large bills leave you open for counterfeit money.

For taxis in the smaller towns then no worries. You don't have the same issues in the smaller cities with taxi scams.

Edited: 8:42 pm, December 31, 2013
Toronto
Level Contributor
516 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get around with a toddler? Is taxi safe?

I went to BA 2 years ago and had no problems with taxi's. I actually found them to be pretty cheap compared to North America. The 3 I got into all had meters so it really wasn't an issue.

Around a few popular spots there are taxi stands with a guy who speaks English who will tell the driver in Spanish where you want to go. Just give him a small tip.

As for El Calafate if you're staying anywhere near the main street the town is small enough you can walk anywhere.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get around with a toddler? Is taxi safe?

There are no car seats so be prepared when in cars with the baby.

I can't remember a bad taxi ride, even the clunky old cars with no a/c on a hot day, usually had good music playing and a friendly / pleasant driver. I have a soft spot in my heart for the taxi drivers of BA .. they are all nice ( well mostly lol).

When hailing a taxi, stand by a corner, stick your arm straight out .. if the taxi light box is lit, they are free and will screech to a halt in front of you :)

When we first arrived, I wrote everything down, after a while I would write it down but practice saying things.. they are almost all friendly and nice .. actually, we never had a bad taxi driver. And we had some who were angels.

At night, be sure to grab one in front of a restaurant or shop, be sure they have the Radio Taxi box on top .

( One time we got a taxi and the driver had photos of his dog all over the car . I told him what kind of dog I had and for the rest of the drive, we were chatting about our dogs ... they are very friendly and nice if you give them a chance. And many do speak English, especially the young ones. and some don't speak a word so just relax and enjoy the adventure )

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get around with a toddler? Is taxi safe?

Taxis in Argentina acquired a terrible reputation mostly during the late 90s. I used to take them on the street and never had a problem in recent years. What I do recommend is to bring a stroller as BA is a beautiful city to walk and you’ll find amazing parks and squares where you can enjoy fresh air and nature.

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
5. Re: How to get around with a toddler? Is taxi safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 16, 2015