We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buenos Aires and area for 10 days - need advice please!

New York City, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Buenos Aires and area for 10 days - need advice please!

Greetings,

My girlfriend and I will be traveling from NYC to BA for about 10 days in mid-November. I have been to BA before, but it was for work and I was housed via my job and provided a stipend. I did not have much time to visit the city, so I don't quite know the lay of the land.

Not wanting to do too much traipsing, we were considering spending most of the time in BA and spending perhaps a night or two in Uruguay. (was thinking Montevideo and/or Punta del Este, but wouldn't mind some advice on such)

We are in our 20's and looking to spend our time eating and drinking well (though not "fancily", if that makes sens), learning tango and meeting friendly locals. "Old world" style architecture, shops and rustic dining/drinking is also something we'd like to check out. From what I understand, clothes shopping is expensive and not worth considering. We enjoy nature and are "medium" in terms of adventurousness. My girlfriend speaks very minimal Spanish. My Spanish is decent - I can usually get my point across and get the gist of most text, though listening is sometimes difficult.

From my experience, Palermo is a great neighborhood but I do not know much about the others. Does the TA community recommend neighborhoods in which to stay? Our budget is a few thousand dollars for the trip, plus or minus. We'd like to enjoy ourselves, but neither penny-pinch nor be spendthrift. What is the best way to book a place to stay and not have to deal with the official exchange rate?

On the note of money, from what I understand the following is something to consider:

1) bring down USD and find a way to change them to pesos for the "blue rate". Also, use all pesos before leaving because no one will want them.

2) avoid using ATM or credit card.

3) exchange money via a trusted local or use xoom.

I consider myself a decent researcher when it comes to trip planning, but sometimes there are things one may not know to look up or investigate. (e.g. I just learned about the official vs blue rate) Are there other considerations that I should take into account?

Many thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
Montevideo
Montevideo
Montevideo Department, Uruguay
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Maldonado Department, Uruguay
Palermo
Palermo
5,245 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,372 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buenos Aires and area for 10 days - need advice please!

Be careful, our first trip to BA was in November, for 2 weeks, for our anniversary .. we moved there 5 months later :)

We used ATM machines. When we lived there also.

You can take the ferry to Montevideo or to Colonia then a bus to Montevideo.

Remember, ferry fare, car rental etc .. adds up ..

Since you stayed in Palermo, maybe Recoleta would be nice for a change ?

You can get everywhere in the city easily from Recoleta and it is a neighborhood full of sights, museums, restaurants and parks and things to see and do and shopping !

San Telmo is worth at least one visit .. I loved going there during the week and having lunch and just browsing the shops without the weekend mobs.

You want to stay in a neighborhood that is easy to get around From .. so Recoleta and Palermo are both beautiful and safe .

Puerto Madero - Go out to the Reserve and then have lunch at one of the restaurants along the water ..

or go there for Sunday Brunch . Excellent.

One day take the train to San Isidro or Tigre for a day of wandering ... sooo beautiful.

Staying in an apartment might be more economical than a hotel.

If you want a nice little apart-hotel, look at the Art Suites Hotel in Recoleta.

We loved it.

Go to Belgrano, see the museum Larretto and walk down to Chinatown and just wander .. if you enjoy photography, you will be very happy .

We used to go to the RaceTrack .. it is free, you can sit at tables on lawns near the railing, you can almost touch the horses .. fun day.

Go to Las Canitas for lunch and wander around there, great neighborhood !

I just gave you a list of things I kind of wish I were doing right now :)

Have fun ..

Mentioned in this post
Montevideo
Montevideo
Palermo
Palermo
5,245 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Recoleta
Recoleta
18,730 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
San Telmo
San Telmo
11,980 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Puerto Madero
Puerto Madero
35,990 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
San Isidro
San Isidro
Province of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Tigre
Tigre
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Buenos Aires and area for 10 days - need advice please!

hello!

I would stay in Palermo, as you are with your girfriend, you have plenty of places to go out at night, and near all to go during day.

I would also recommend you to go to "Zona Norte", its 20 minutes, and depends what you like, you have interesting places.

=)

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
5,245 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Norte
Norte
236 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Berlin
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buenos Aires and area for 10 days - need advice please!

Loved Scarlett01’s post! Just wanted to add you should visit the area around Recoleta Cemetery and Hotel Alvear Palace. Alvear Avenue is filled with French style buildings and mansions and the cemetery itself is worth a visit, do not miss it! A little advise, though, try not to look to foreigner and always be alert as there are a number of scams that are regularly committed in touristic areas. You can read about them on this forum.

Mentioned in this post
Recoleta Cemetery
Recoleta Cemetery
21,802 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Alvear Palace Hotel
Alvear Palace Hotel
1,994 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buenos Aires and area for 10 days - need advice please!

Walk along Alvear Avenue.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,372 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buenos Aires and area for 10 days - need advice please!

:) Gracias, Sol !

I am feeling a tiny bit "homesick" for BA.

Northampton...
Level Contributor
146 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buenos Aires and area for 10 days - need advice please!

We all have our favorite neighborhoods and activities, so I'll confine my advice for now to Uruguay. I have limited experience there, but have now been twice in the last 5 months, as airfares from NYC to Montevideo seem to be consistently lower during the "shoulder season" than they are to the Buenos Aires international airport.

I find Montevideo expensive and pretty dull compared to Bs As, but I have enjoyed my time in Colonia -- it's worth at least a day trip -- and Piriápolis, a small beach resort town up the coast from Montevideo. You can get there easily by bus, and I know others have rented a car to reach the beach towns. It’s tranquil – although it may be a little crazier in November – and the town is full of simple hotels with rooms for less than $100 US a night. It has a very sweet beach, and is surrounded by 4 hills that have hiking trails (the one that’s more touristy has a chairlift). This was my antidote to Punta del Este, which felt pretty ugly and touristy to me. Both Colonia and Piriápolis are nice escapes from either big city.

Mentioned in this post
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
Montevideo
Montevideo
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Maldonado Department, Uruguay
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buenos Aires and area for 10 days - need advice please!

what did you do in colonia?

Thanks

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,372 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buenos Aires and area for 10 days - need advice please!

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/747

You can put Colonia into the search box and read up on what to do there .

New York City, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buenos Aires and area for 10 days - need advice please!

Thank you all for the replies! Especially Scarlett - very descriptive! I believe we'll stay in Palermo so we can be close to everything we're looking for - parks, shopping, nightlife, and transportation. I see one line of the subte is in Palermo so that will likely allow us to get around. Air BnB seems to have some good options.

We've nixed Montevideo and are considering Mar del Plata. The water will likely not be warm enough to go swimming so the allure would be the beach and the nightlife/restaurants. What does the Trip Advisor community thing of this area during mid-late November? If we are staying in Argentina for eight nights I am not sure whether Mar del Plata is worth 10+ hours of transportation (bus) and if it has much to offer beyond Buenos Aires. We already have an agenda that can likely accommodate 9 days. (including a full day in Tigre)

Any recommendations on changing money? Does Xoom actually work? I may have a couple contacts (friends of friends) but am the type of person that gets anxious depending on someone else for something so critical.

Again, many thanks. I didn't realize so many people replied since I only got one email notification. =)

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
5,245 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Montevideo
Montevideo
Mar del Plata
Mar del Plata
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Tigre
Tigre
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Buenos Aires and area for 10 days - need advice please!

Regarding money exchanging, you can check the “blue” rate at this site: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/ and ask your concierge or in case you’re renting an apartment your contacts there, in order to find out where’d you get the best rate. I’d take plenty of cash with me and forget about credit cards and Xoom. You may find both of this threads useful: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k6819… and tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k6801… Best of lucks!