We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do your homework: Apartment Rental, Money Exchange & BA Stay

Berlin, Germany
5 posts
Save Topic
Do your homework: Apartment Rental, Money Exchange & BA Stay

A wonderful 15-day stay in Buenos Aires – I promised my very hard working agent that I would write a review about him on this forum.

I stayed in an apartment two blocks from Recoleta and 6 blocks from Palermo. I used a local rental agent called BA Stay – www.buenosairesstay.com.

I highly recommend the area where the barrios Balvanera, Palermo and Recoleta meet, which is close to Abasto. It is safe and extremely convenient for sightseeing, transport and general living. I could not swear to this, but everything seemed a bit cheaper in Abasto compared to say Recoleta.

The booking process with BA Stay was easy and I saved a fortune on my holiday because they proactively gave me good information about Buenos Aires before I arrived. I tend to travel sloppily and often read-up on the plane or on arrival. Glad I did not do that this time.

ASK YOUR AGENT:

1. Money exchange

2. Paying rent in pesos

3. Booking internal flights in advance

DO NOT:

Bring Euros or Sterling

DO:

Bring dollars and pay everything in cash for a substantial saving on spending (-35%)

The ‘’blue rate’’ of exchange, which actually means black market money saved me a fortune and made my holiday much more cost effective in an already cheap Buenos Aires.

Entertainment, food and travel is cheap (not airfares), although anything else like clothes, electrical or imported goods are even more expensive than in Europe – even with the ‘’blue rate’’ of exchange.

The apartment I rented was newly refurbished to a reasonable standard and I have no complaints.

The team at Buenos Aires Stay looked after me throughout my stay.

Phil Sparks, my agent, is well worth emailing if you are travelling to Buenos Aires and want a local perspective from an expats point of view – reserva@buenosairesstay.com

Good luck!

PS what is the true value of the peso???

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Recoleta
Recoleta
18,733 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Palermo
Palermo
5,245 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Abasto Hotel
Abasto Hotel
379 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Do your homework: Apartment Rental, Money Exchange & BA Stay

You can certainly trade other hard currencies that are not the US Dollar, but the effective exchange rate will be less advantageous because you will be applied a double buy/sell spread. To give an example.... lets say you want to trade Euros. If on the day you trade them, the Euro is worth 1.33 UD Dollar (spot rate), then the exchange agent will apply a wide spread, which means he will assign a Dollar value of 1.25 to your Euros. He will then convert those 1.25 Dollars to Pesos at the current blue market rate (with the appropriate spread of course)..... in the end, you get taken to the cleaners.

Therefore, it is wise to get your Ben Franklins at home before coming to Argentina....

Safe Travels !!

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Berlin
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Do your homework: Apartment Rental, Money Exchange & BA Stay

Glad you had a lovely experience in BA. If you are asking for the official value of the peso is 5.58 and the blue rate is 8.85. That difference sure gives you room for manoeuvre when you bring US$.

13. Re: Do your homework: Apartment Rental, Money Exchange & BA Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 28, 2014