We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shouldn't tourists try yerba mate?

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Shouldn't tourists try yerba mate?

I don't see much about mate on the forum and do enjoy it so much myself that I thought to post this cool video about the real people of Argentina and their national beverage of choice. These guys are so great. If you visit Argentina I heartily recommend giving it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIqMzMK5BSw

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Shouldn't tourists try yerba mate?

Amazing. This thread began June 8 and only just moments ago when preparing my top of the morning mate I was thinking about this discussion and how mate is indeed an acquired taste. There are so many different brands and they are all a bit different. The stuff I drink, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, is from a forest in Paraguay. It is by far the deepest yet smoothest I've ever tried. After my afternoon top up, which is only half as much as the morning lift off, I rinse the gourd and set it out on the balcony to dry in the sun. While drinking yerba mate is almost a national obsession in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay the Chileans seem indifferent to it. At least they know what it is and aren't suspicious.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Shouldn't tourists try yerba mate?

In the mountains of Peru, Coca Mate is more popular than Yerba Mate. Coca Mate comes much closer to being a "drug" than its Yerba counterpart, although both are legal to bring back to the States (or so I have been told...never tried to bring Coca Mate back with me....only Yerba).

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Shouldn't tourists try yerba mate?

Yerba mate is available in the US. Amazon has it. Someone might want to try it before going. That way if it grosses you out you aren't doing it in front of people. I like it but it's one of those take it or leave it things.

14. Re: Shouldn't tourists try yerba mate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 20, 2014