We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Travel to BA & nearby. Solo-friendly activities?

Brooklyn, New York
11 posts
Save Topic
Solo Travel to BA & nearby. Solo-friendly activities?

I am planning a trip to BA this June for 2-3 weeks. I know this is the winter so I am wondering what's suitable to do. I would appreciate any advice, particularly about

--Nature trips not far from Buenos Aires. I would like to see gaucho lifestyle, try riding a horse, and anything that involves great landscapes. oh and of course wine country.

is the winter a good time for any of this?

--Any recommendations for things to do, short tours and ways to avoid being gouged as a foreigner. I am on a rather tight budget.

--Woman traveling solo. I've read up on this and will take precautions to dress appropriately, take cabs at night, etc. I'm likely going to take some beginner courses at a Spanish school, so hopefully they will offer me guidance, too. But if you have any special advice on

solo- friendly activities I'd love to hear it! Thanks

Signature Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Biking Buenos Aires
City Tours, Bike Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Travel to BA & nearby. Solo-friendly activities?

In the interests of full disclosure - I am a male, but in my opinion a single woman traveler should not be especially concerned about traveling to BA and environs based upon her gender. Just practice the common sense required for any tourist irrespective of gender when going about.

If you are on a tight budget and have browsed this forum, you should be aware it may be advantageous to postpone advance payments for reservations until you arrive and can acquire the local currency.

Sometimes you can arrange a flight to include a lengthy layover at very little additional expense. That would allow you to deplane and visit an additional city at considerably less expense that what it might cost if you were to buy separate passage. Look into flying from the USA to Mendoza in the AR principle wine country. Any such international flight should require a stop in BS As. See if you can layover for the amount of time you want to be in BA , then reboard and continue on to final destination, Mendoza. Spend 3 nights in Mendoza and return to BA. Or, conversely, deplane in BA and continue on in Mendoza after your stay in BA.

I suggest Mendoza because you will have the opportunity to explore the many bodegas/ wineries that make it a wine lover's paradise. One of the BA DEs is a wine expert and can provide you with truly expert insights for any such visit. I can recommend Italia B&B as a fine, reasonably priced place to stay in Mendoza and the winery tours arranged by that B&B. If you can work Iguazu Falls into such a layover itinerary that would be the epitome of a nature spot. Another area to explore for nature would be Salta. If you can't build any of these places into a ticket with layovers, then look into purchasing air fares once you arrive. The exchange rate for blue USD may allow you to fit one or two of these destinations into your budget.

When in BA you can visit a nearby (1 or 2 hours by bus at most) estancia to see how the contemporary Argentine gaucho works on a ranch. You probably could arrange a sleepover as well. Defer payment of such trips until you arrive.

It will be chilly in June so bring appropriate clothes.

Edited: 10:04 am, May 19, 2013
Mentioned in this post
AR
AR
1 Review
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Brooklyn, New York
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Travel to BA & nearby. Solo-friendly activities?

Thanks so much for your extensive advice! Is Mendoza nice during June to August? I've heard the harvest is completely done, but I imagine there's still a decent scenery. I'm trying to find the kind of layover you suggested, but still looking. Also if you have any recommendations for good tours leaving from Buenos Aires to Mendoza and Iguazu Falls, that'd be great.

3. Re: Solo Travel to BA & nearby. Solo-friendly activities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Buenos Aires