We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent Apr. in Palermo or SAn Telmo

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Rent Apr. in Palermo or SAn Telmo

Hi all you BA afficionados. Trying to decide on some apartments and would appreciate help. I'm also pulled toward the funky, character apartments in San Telmo--love historic old buildings--not many antiquities in L.A; however, don't want to be seduced by archtiecture when we won't be around 80% if the time.

The hipster factor isn't a big draw for us--L.A. is choking with it---but clean, and safe.

Thanks for any insights!!!!!!!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/480589 Seems too good to be true at the price?????

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/48748

www.airbnb.com/rooms/802182

www.airbnb.com/rooms/438798

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent Apr. in Palermo or SAn Telmo

Palermo! Surroundings are nice and it's a safe neighbourhood.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent Apr. in Palermo or SAn Telmo

If you ask on this forum, you will be steered to Palermo (or Recoleta) 10 out of 10 times. But there is so much more to San Telmo than historic architecture. I've lived here since 2007 and love my neighborhood. From what you said about your taste, you will, too.

If it helps you assess my opinion, when I visit L.A. I always stay on the east side.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
757 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent Apr. in Palermo or SAn Telmo

I think there is a good reason Palermo or Recoleta is recommended to the first time tourist/traveler to Buenos Aires. It really is better suited for most first time visitors.

San Telmo is cool to hang out or visit but for the first time tourist, I think you would prefer Palermo or Recoleta.

Well, I'm not sure of the "too good to be true" but did you take the time to read some of the comments from actual guests???

Some of the complaints are things ranging from noise from the neighbors, gas leaks, roaches, etc. But to be fair the owner said she fixed the gas leak and there are several positive comments as well. But AirBnb is great because owners and renters get to rate one another. It's a great site to rent from.

And remember that AirBnb doesn't pay the owners until 24 hours AFTER check-in so if there is some "bait and switch" or the property isn't as advertised, you can let AirBnb know ASAP and the check in and you are protected.

Edited: 2:41 pm, May 15, 2013
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent Apr. in Palermo or SAn Telmo

Hi Saint,

Why exactly is Palermo better suited to first-time visitors? I understand when you're talking about people who are from smaller towns or suburbs in the U.S. -- Palermo might feel more familiar, with its high-end boutiques and restaurants. But in this case, with people from L.A. who are attracted to funky character and bored by the hipster scene, I really disagree with you. I'm guessing that they won't be as enchanted by the restaurants with the blaring house music, the nightclub scene, the English spoken everywhere. To me, Palermo is nice for a visit, but I wouldn't want to be immersed in it. Plus, unless you are located near Santa Fe, it is a hassle to get anywhere.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
757 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent Apr. in Palermo or SAn Telmo

Hi Sylvie,

My post was based on experience helping tens of thousands of tourists over the past decade.

I've helped tourists rent apartments in Recoleta, Palermo, Barrio Norte, Puerto Madero and San Telmo over the past decade. And most of the tourists go to all the neighborhoods. I wouldn't say you will find the "hipster" scene in Recoleta and the vast majority of Palermo. House music? I lived in Buenos Aires for over 8 years and can't recall hanging out in too many places daily with house music blaring. LOL.

We all have different opinions which is perfectly ok and I respect your opinion. You live in San Telmo so naturally you probably have an affinity for that area which is great.

And I DO agree with you there are many gorgeous, older buildings that are charming and have tons of character. Here's the rub. Many parts of San Telmo still get somewhat sketchy at night. But the most important reason I said what I said is the vast majority of tourists that we booked into apartments in San Telmo. Do you know what they said upon departure? Stuff like, "while we enjoyed San Telmo, next time I think I would have rather stayed in Recoleta or Palermo".

So it's not just my personal preference but my experience dealing with thousands of tourists. Palermo might not be convenient for you as you live in San Telmo so it's further away. But many tourists spend much of their time in Recoleta or Palermo.

I'm certainly not saying San Telmo is a bad area. Only that many people will have no desire to stay in that area on their first trip.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent Apr. in Palermo or SAn Telmo

I think Sylvie's spot on -- from what you say I think you'd really like San Telmo -- it's one of the most interesting parts of the city and offers a far richer experience than staying in Palermo, parts of which are precisely Buenos Aires's version of the hypster scene -- there's always something interesting to see in San Telmo -- it isn't as polished as Palermo but that's part of its charm -- Palermo's nice, in a botoxed kind of way, but if you want to experience something a bit different you should opt for San Telmo's slight disolute charm

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
757 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent Apr. in Palermo or SAn Telmo

ie60,

It's nice to see your "1 post". Hopefully you will stick around to share some more of your insight about Buenos Aires. :)

I'm not saying the OP might not enjoy San Telmo. Absolutely it's interesting and has beautiful architecture. But I think you are WAY off base if you try to portray Palermo as a "hypster" environment. First of all, Palermo is a HUGE neighborhood. So big in fact, they have separated it with designations like Palermo Chico, Palermo Soho, Palermo Hollywood, Palermo Viejo, etc. Sure some of these areas you could spin into what you are trying to argue but much of it isn't even near accurate to what you are trying to portray. There are MANY gorgeous, quiet and beautiful parts of Palermo that are the furthest thing from a "hypster" haven.

I mean come on.... you are trying to portray Palermo into something that really a small part of Palermo is. It's really gorgeous, residential, quiet in many parts of it.

Again, I'm not knocking San Telmo but I think there is a reason why you hear Recoleta or Palermo recommended over and over. It's not by accident.

As well, "hypster" is the LAST word I'd use to describe neighborhoods like Recoleta. LOL. I lived there for 8 years and I would NOT associate that word at all with Recoleta. Just a gorgeous area with gorgeous architecture that is safe and central.

Edited: 9:27 pm, May 15, 2013
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent Apr. in Palermo or SAn Telmo

And you rarely catch people in San Telmo boasting about the size of their posts

CorrieBee
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent Apr. in Palermo or SAn Telmo

I'm just back from BA, and we loved Palermo AND San Telmos (it is allowed you know?)

We stayed in San Telmo. Didn't feel unsafe, loved the vibe and felt a bit more real. No big supermarkets, just smaller mercados, interesting independent shops and friendly, helpful people.

Easy to get to/from most places to, especially by bus.

We stayed in the San Telmo loft. I'd hugely recomend it if there's more than a couple of you.Actually, we stayed in "The Pad", but google the loft and you'll see both.

10. Re: Rent Apr. in Palermo or SAn Telmo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, May 20, 2013